Bettas

dudeboy2k6

Reaction score
will a peaceful betta go with any normal fish like; barbs (not tiger), tetras, siamese fighter, corys, gouramis, live-bearers

pls reply

will a peaceful betta go with any normal fish like; barbs (not tiger), tetras, siamese fighter, corys, gouramis, live-bearers

pls reply

Barbs - no (fin nipper)
Tetras - no (fin nipper)
Siamese Fighter - (another name for betta so no)
Corys - Maybe (depends on betta and tank size)
Gouramis - no (both occupy same area of tank so no room for seperate territories)
Livebearers - maybe (although it may think there another betta and kil them)

First of all, a siamese fighter is a betta, and unless you're keeping a sorority or breeding, this is not possible,
gouramis are another no-no as they are a member of the same family and will attack each other.
Tetras and barbs might be ok as long as they aren't too fast, or too flashy, or have longer fins, or are nippy
Livebearers is usually bad, but some people find that they can get along with female guppies and dull platies. I wouldn't reccomend male guppys or swords because they have longer fins, and guppy males are flashy. If you are keeping them with livebearers you should keep a plan on what to do if they fight (have a tank set up etc...)
corys are usually ok, but with all fish, it all depends on the betta's temperament.

Barbs - Nope
Tetras - Nope
Siamese Fighter - NO! This is the more cultural name for a betta ,and bettas will kill each other.
Corys - Usually, unless the betta is very agressive
Gouramis - No. Bettas and Gouramis are both anabantoids, and bettas don't go with other anabantoids as well as some Gourami's can be agressive
Livebearers - If the betta is very peaceful, maybe.

On another betta forum - it was mentioned that Cherry Barbs (but not other barbs) can cohabitate with bettas... I'm not experienced with other fish so I can't offer anything from personal experience but I've read that. :look:

Most reactions

Back