Bettas NATURAL habitat?

Coral Dolpfin Cove

Reaction score
We all know that we like to decorate our betta tanks in our own special way, but what about "wild" bettas? What kind of floors (sand? stones?) and plants do they have in their natural environment?

bettas live in rice patties, low current streams, pongs, and i guess rivers too if the current doesn't wash them away. grassy plants are great for them, sand is good too, not exactly what u would see in thir natural habitat, but pretty close. u might want to add some rocks or caves too, slate is great for this, just make sure the sharp edges are sanded down round and smooth. and i recommend about 1 foot of water should be good for them. make sure u have a filter or air stone in there too, they dont require it but it will keep the top of the water from getting any kind of nasty film on the top. a divided 10g should be perfect for your little project :thumbs:

here is a gallery from Plakatthai.com on the habitat of bettas.
http://www.plakatthai.com/bettahabitat.html
They live in the rice paddies or ponds and are usually covered in weeds. The water is very murky due to the dirt bottom. You could do a sand bottom to recreate the soft "dirt" feel. I was born in Vietnam and lived there for awhile. The wild betta near my place liked to hide in floating water hyacinths which have very long bushy roots. At home I try to recreate south east asian waters with java fern, rirver rocks and indian almond leaves. The almond leaves recreate the murky blackwater condiditons and as well as many other benefits. You could use java moss too simulate water hyacinth roots. Good luck on your projects!

Thanks for the info. I've always kept my bettas in aquariums, but i wanted to see if I could sort of "recreate" their natural habitat. :D Thanks for all of your help!

Most reactions

Back