Betta

m1kbee

Reaction score
I have had my aquarium for about 3 months now and have been thinking of getting a fighting fish (Betta splendens). The only thing that I can figure out is are they compatible with my current fish.

I have 5 danios and 4 white cloud minnows. All the fish are listed as peaceful (I am aware of the 2 male fighting fish problem) but am not too sure if any of them would nip fins.

I have plenty of room in my aquarium and I keep it well understocked on purpose. I am just worried about any fighting fish I get being picked on by the others.

Does anyone have any experience with mixing these at all?

it depends on the fish they are all different, i have a male betta with a pair of pearl gourami's , 6 phantom tetra's, 4 endlers with no problems at all but i'm fairly sure if i was to ask if this would be ok i would be told it wouldn't work.

I have had my aquarium for about 3 months now and have been thinking of getting a fighting fish (Betta splendens). The only thing that I can figure out is are they compatible with my current fish.

I have 5 danios and 4 white cloud minnows. All the fish are listed as peaceful (I am aware of the 2 male fighting fish problem) but am not too sure if any of them would nip fins.

I have plenty of room in my aquarium and I keep it well understocked on purpose. I am just worried about any fighting fish I get being picked on by the others.

hi there i have a five&hlaf foot tank fighting fish hav a life span of 3 to 4 weeks i do no recomand keepin any.

1. other fish go for there colour and there feather tail/fins.

I have bought about 8 myself and mine had lasted bout 2 weeks and also my fish are peaceful but also the fightin fish seem to stay near top off the tank
and u would think they have died so then the other fish will pick at it.

I wouldn't. For a start, danios and minnows need cooler water - around 23-24 C. Bettas need it much higher, between 26 and 28 C.

Secondly, danios are epic fin nippers.

What size tank do you have??

hi there i have a five&hlaf foot tank fighting fish hav a life span of 3 to 4 weeks i do no recomand keepin any.

I have bought about 8 myself and mine had lasted bout 2 weeks and also my fish are peaceful but also the fightin fish seem to stay near top off the tank

Actually, bettas should live to between 3 and 5 years old with good care, sometimes older.

My tank is approx 40 litre. It is running at 24/25 oC.

I was looking at this (http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/Freshwater/BettasSiameseFightingFish/RedBettaMale) which says 22/27 for bettas.

Not going to now though with danios being fin nippers (not that I was buying fish from the internet, I have more sense then that).

Cheers for the info.

As the others have said above, bettas are much better at the upper end of the scale. and the danios would be a worry

Not to worry. I figured that it would be better to ask rather than get one and it getting chomped to death.

I am afraid that a male betta has a very ill earned reputation for being aggressive. Most of them are very good community tank fish that live long lives with proper care. The problem that I have had with them is that they often are the victims of more aggressive fish in the tank. The only time they seem to stand up for themselves is with another betta. I presently have one in my 45 gallon endler tank. I have had him about 3 years so far with no troubles. He is expected to earn his keep by eating some of the endler fry but I'm afraid he has given up even trying to catch them. These days I see endler fry no more than a day old who are face to face with him at less than an inch and both are just eating the food that I have given them. Unfortunately the endler fry is perfectly safe.

I had no doubts of whether a betta would be ok with the fish I have got but more the other way round.

As said before, they can live in a community, I have done it many times before. You may get the odd one where it won't work, but it is rare imo.

But if you had danio's, they will nip at anything, not just bettas.

Also, someone mentioned the temp of the betta needs to be higher than your minnows, I had a community set up at 25-26 degrees, and both minnows and betta were happy. It's all individual

what on earth were you doing to them?? :blink:

As said, no they dont, they have a life span of 2-4ish years.

No, not all fish. Certain shoaling fish do.

8? Males/females or a mixture? When keeping males only 1 can be kept in the 1 tank, as far as females go, a group of 6 is needed in a minimum of 10G to keep a sorority.

I had 3 Zebra Danios with my fisrt betta Lunar. They got along fine, the danios minded there own business as did the bettas. I wouldn't say danios are aggressive, its just that they are fast moving fish. And it all depends on the temperament of the bettas :)

Most reactions

Back