Betta Wild ! Imbellis, mahachaiensis, smaragdina

Velvetgun

Reaction score
I recently discovered the various types of wild bettas. They immediately fascinated me but at the same time the information about them that I find around is quite conflicting.
At a management level, some describe them as simpler because they are more rustic, others as more complex precisely because they are "primitive".
Some say that being less aggressive you can keep like a male and 1/2 females and mate and raise fry in the same tank (if willing to lose some) let's say in a natural way, without whiskey bottles etc.
In short, I would like to know more about the various species and know more about management, character, etc I know some of you have them and I'd love to hear about your experiences
The favorite wild species about which I would like to have information are the following :
- imbellis
- mahachaiensis
- smaragdina

Last edited:
73-ish species, with a wide variety of personalities. Some, such as B. imbellis, are actually very peaceful, and some can be kept in pairs, although most are best raised in groups so they can pair up themselves.
If you search individual species, seriously fish and practical fishkeeping have some detailed info on some of them.
I don't have much experience with them.
Here are the species groups, if it helps any

Last edited:
It begins with understanding and appreciating species. Betta is a Genus, an umbrella classification. Under it, you have a varied group of related, but oftentimes different from a fishkeeper's perspective fish. What is true for one is not necessarily true for another.
I have kept wild caught splendens, and they were radically unlike domesticated "Bettas" (also splendens, but linebred by humans). They were smaller. They were not especially aggressive, and males could tolerate each other in large spaces. They hadn't been selected for their aggression by human breeders seeking good fish for gambling fights. People have done that for thousands of Betta generations. "Jarring" Betta splendens is one result, although is partly to protect their hopelessly overgrown (not natural) fins to keep prices up.
A lot of fishkeepers get lost in breeds - deformed scales, fancy tails, etc, and start to see nature as varieties. It's way more complex than that, and each individual species withon a group like Betta has its own ways as well as its own appearances.
They are great fish, but are a little work to figure out at the start.

I like the tiny wine red group, but have not been great at keeping them.

I have never been a big fan of splendens. I kept a couple of males in side by side 2.5 gal. tanks. After about 8 or 9 months I gave them away, However, imbellis were one of the fish high on my wish list. I got lucky and found a trio bred from the best in class winners at a major IBC event.

The three went into a planted 10 gal. tank in my bathroom. I got through a few generations before I finally lost them. The colors , when they are in spawning mode, are amazing. I could see the fish from 10 feet away.

They are pretty peaceful and I never saw much squabbling at all. I would go with them if it were my choice.

These were the only two species of Betta I kept. I had to turn their tank into a zebra pleco grow tank and so could not get more imbellis.

My water is in the neutral pH range and soft.

Most reactions

Back