Betta tank size

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
So I'm think about getting a betta, and I was wondering what size tank I should look in to? Some sources say minimum 1 gal, and some say 5 gal minimum? I don't want to buy too large of a tank, in case I ever want another betta, but course I want my betta to be very happy and comfortable, so what would you recommend?

In my opinion, a 5 gallon (20 litre) tank is minimum and a 10 gallon is better. Basically, anything less than 20 litres is a waste of time and money. You can buy 20 litre buckets for a few dollars, compared to a 10 litre tank that will cost you a lot more. So why buy a small tank when you can get a big bucket for less.

The more water volume, the cleaner the water will be and the more stable the environment will be.

A bigger tank (10 gallon +) will allow you to keep other fish if your Betta dies or you get rid of him. Tanks that are smaller than 5 gallons can't have any other types of fish in.

if you're in the US, you can buy a 5 gallon glass aquarium kit with filter , hood and light for $30 and you can get a 10 gallon kit for $33 at Walmart including delivery to your door.. A glass aquarium is much nicer than a plastic bucket/tote.

A glass aquarium is much nicer than a plastic bucket/tote.
yeah I know but it comes down to what they can afford. However, when a 5 gallon tank cost $30 and a 10 gallon costs $33. spend the extra $3.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I will be the lone dissenter here. I like the 2 1/2 gallon for a single Betta. It is small but not too small and easy and fast to do a big water change in. Have had Bettas in them many times and they seem to like it.

Last edited:
Bettas love to explore. They can do this best with a larger space with lots of p!ants (not plastic- Silk or real). 10 gallon/ 40 litres is good.

Most reactions

Back