Betta Sorority tank journal (so far)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought I would make a little journal for what I have learned so far with my betta sorority (Has been very successful!) Any tips would also be helpful. I have a lot of experience in the past with male bettas, but first time trying this set up.

Planted standard 29 gallon tank (30 x 12 x 18)

Current stock
(8 female bettas)
(6 mystery snails)
(1 baby synodontis) - will be transfered to 75 gallon in future to take the place of my grandpa synodontis

I feed them mainly a bloodworm diet with occasional veggie flakes/vegatables as a treat. Syno I feed him bug bites and also shrimp pellets.

Tank specs:
Smooth gravel substrate (black)
aquaclear filter (rated for 50 gallons)
oxygen pump
submersible heater (set at 75 though room temperature they are in is usually around 72/75)
Marineland lighting

Plant stocking
4 cryptos
8-10 water sprites (4 that were split)
2 java ferns (recently got)
1 howthorn
2 other plants (I forget the name)

Some things I have noticed
1) hawthorn plant is extremely helpful to float at the top and be near the filter as it prevents a strong current flow that the bettas dont like while also breaking up "line of site" that can minimize aggression
2) Thicker plants on the bottom (like crypto) and the decoration give good hiding spots for the bettas to rest without being disturbed by others
3) They form a hiearchy as people predict, but it seems that it can shift around a lot as one day one might be a little meaner and then is completely relaxed the next day.
4) I have not seen any major signs of aggression, and I think it has to do with "breaking" the tank into smaller section rather than having a larger open area as each betta likely views one area as its territory, and the smaller it is the less likely another will cross into it and a fight will break out.
5) They get a little fiesty for feeding them, so a similar strategy I do with my cichlids is separate the food across the whole length of the tank
6) They get along with the snails and catfish very well.

If anyone wants me to give updates let me know.

Most reactions

Back