Betta has popeye and possibly a different disease?

Lillypad101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
3B487CBB-5D8E-49A9-9114-902E305364E9.jpeg
34B7BDAD-4F89-4E5C-8C87-2F667555525C.jpeg
7A23C137-FB70-40C7-81D4-26E3482DF322.jpeg
69FDD2DD-51E6-4172-A3F6-7E818D0CEE97.jpeg
My yellow butterfly dumbo male betta has popeye. I feel like something else is wrong though. He is in a 5 gallon split angle aquarium on the side without the filter intake. There was a male on the other side, along with some African dwarf frogs, but I removed them since he was sick. I’m new to this forum but have been fishkeeping for about 2 1/2 years now. I’ve never been great at identifying diseases, but this is particularly hard because he is showing symptoms of different diseases. He has black specks on his body (not very many), holes in his head (which were there when I got him 2 weeks ago, so might just be sensory related things), a swollen and cloudy eye (only one eye), and pine coming scales only on one side of his head (the side with the swollen eye). He is still eating, but cannot see anything it seems, so I feed him directly with tweezers. His tank is filtered and heated at 77 degrees. I just don’t know what medicines to use because I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He is laying at the bottom (not on his side) and won’t move for long periods of time.
Any and all advice appreciated!

I don’t think she’s pineconing like this yet but you are right that the scales are concerning. According to this, it can be a symptom of infection.
I’m inclined to think that infection is hexamite, also known as hole in the head disease. As a disclaimer, I’m not very experienced with the diseases either, mostly what I’m picking up on here, so someone else may (probably) knows more.

Thank you for the input! When I checked on him today, his eye looked less swollen and his scales had smoothed out. Those holes in his head are still there though.

That article on hole in head disease does talk about treatment if you scroll down far enough. There’s a lot of white space and ads but it’s there.

Reading the article you sent, I may try something like Kordon Malachite Green and formalin? Supposed to treat parasites.

I hope it helps and wish I knew more to guide you. He’s a pretty little fish.

Edited for gender. Don’t know how I did that, really.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back