Betta bloated for almost 2 weeks??

bettalover23

Reaction score
Hello i’m new to this forum I signed up so I could get some help with my betta, Remy. He started to become bloated about 2 weeks ago. his bloating has not increased or decreased since then. i have fead him a blanched pea to see if he was constipated the bloating decreased slightly after that but went back up again to what it was before a few days later. he was on tetra betta mini pellets, but he has been switched to omega one betta buffet flakes since i ran out of the pellets. he is still swimming around his tank and blowing his bubble nests and acting normal. he is in a five gallon planted tank with 75-100%water changes every week. i am at a loss on what to do to to make his bloat go down. keep in mind it is not severe bloat but his stomach is more distended than usual.
E959652C-77D4-45BD-BA30-6899107F8C85.jpeg
D88DAFB6-4057-4085-A4D8-60CEFAFEB3F0.jpeg
13316AD4-5BD9-41A2-888A-5656E53211E8.jpeg

This is normal probably he has got tumour or something.... Dont agree...add some tannins and fast for a day or two

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not able to tell from the photos that your betta is bloating, but a tank with live plants should provide a good environment for the fish.

It’s not clear to me from the 3rd photo what your substrate is, but my betta is in a 50 litre tank (around 12 Gallons) with sand substrate. I feed tropical flakes once a day which are eaten in around 20 to 30 seconds, and I use a poly tube to remove dirt and plant matters from the bottom of the tank every 10 days to 2 weeks. I remove 10 litres each water change as I don’t consider large water changes in a 50L tank with only a small fish in it necessary. Besides, netting a fish out for a very large or 100% water change is too stressful for a betta and is difficult to manage in a tank with live plants.

I hope that your betta will fully recover soon.

Thank you for the reply! I have added catappa leaves into the water to release tannins. I also fasted him for 2 days and the bloat has gone away! I am going to feed him a small meal tonight and hope for the best. Also for the water changes I have only done 1 100% change and usually only do a little more than 50% he also stays in the tank the whole time. sorry i didn’t make that very clear in my oringal post. :))

It looks as though it’s a case of overfeeding. If you could feed the equivalent of 4 or 5 mosquito larvae a day that will be enough for a betta.
Another important thing is to remove mulm from the top of the substrate at water changes.
If live plants thrive in the tank, the bettas should too - assuming you don’t add excessive (or any) plant fertiliser which might affect the fish.
I have never used catappa leaves, so can’t comment on them.
All the best.

Most reactions

Back