Betta biting his tail?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gamegurl564

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey gang
I posted some nice shots of my boy sunday and yesterday I noticed his tail looking ragged.
He is a veiltail, the fins were all one piece now I see a split and the end is definitely shorter today than yesterday.
Self mutilation?
Theres nothing sharp in there, I may pull the castle just to be safe
Of course he wont hold still for a pic
Hes also a fussy eater. I give him bug bites pellets, small because he tends to spit the bigger ones out
I am lucky if I can get him to take three.
I offer twice daily
I was so thrilled yesterday when he ate a few brine shrimp.
What to do?
I have heard about this self harm thing before...sigh
The filter is a sponge filter, water temp 78 degrees, weekly 40% water changes, a nice amount of live plants (only going for about a month)
Nitrate etc all in good shape, nitrate about 10 or less
Help

I have never seen a Betta bite its tail. I have seen Bettas kept in cups and raised in jars tear their fin membranes once you give them good enough conditions they can swim for the first time since they were sexable. Farms protect those fins because ragged Bettas don't sell, but oversized fancy fins seem to tear easily out in the real world. The fish has probably been largely immobilized to allow those perfect (to you) fins to grow in a marketable way. Once he gets muscular strength (the other downsize to jars) and gets into shape, his freer movement will often tear the fins.

I have never seen a Betta bite its tail. I have seen Bettas kept in cups and raised in jars tear their fin membranes once you give them good enough conditions they can swim for the first time since they were sexable. Farms protect those fins because ragged Bettas don't sell, but oversized fancy fins seem to tear easily out in the real world. The fish has probably been largely immobilized to allow those perfect (to you) fins to grow in a marketable way. Once he gets muscular strength (the other downsize to jars) and gets into shape, his freer movement will often tear the fins.
Huh...I see what you are saying.
The industry hurts my heart, those poor babies.
I have had him a little more than a month

The industry hurts my heart, those poor babies.
The Betta industry bugs me too . I’m That One Guy that just has to feel sorry for the poor things at PetsMart and adopt one . I can’t save the entire Betta Kingdom but I can make the life of one better . As for the Betta mill people - may all their teeth fall out but one and in that one may they have a toothache .

Most reactions

Back