Betta Babies Pigment Loss

kyoko

Reaction score
You see on a picture, the pigment loss. Is it normal? Only some of smaller betta babies have it. They are active, eating well. Does it look like some bacterial infection? I put today Esha 2000 just in case. I change water regularly, have heater and add a little bit salt. I also noticed the flower in the tank is not doing well this week, she is getting brown and losing leaves. Any ideas? Ammonia burn?

I have to admit, two or three babies has problems with gas bladder. they are floating with difficulties and going up. but i dont see connection between these two. I always treated these with fresh peas, and it was ok in a few days.

here

Attachments

• ryr.JPG
    ryr.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 74
Poor babies. I have no idea what can cause that though. Hope they get better.

Could be something to do with the water, but due to the age of the fish, he could just be developing the right colour.. If not all fry have this problem, I would say it's most likely not the water, but better safe than sorry, so I would defiantly test the water thoroughly and see what the results are, but if the fish is swimming/eating fine I wouldn't be too worried depending on the water results are.

Good luck :good:

I have found it were bites. Few smaller were victims. The agressive male is now separated and rest of them are fine now :)

I know it's more than a bit late, but thought I'd mention it could be the added salt killing your plants.

I've killed off plants before, doing salt treatments over extended periods for Ick.

Are these some type of brackish betta that you have to add salt?

Because if not, this addition of salt could be affecting the babies internal balance of liquids and encouraging problems. ???

If they are freshwater, you might want to consider not adding salt in future spawns.

(They're VERY pretty babies and I hope they were and are OK.)

I know it's more than a bit late, but thought I'd mention it could be the added salt killing your plants.

I've killed off plants before, doing salt treatments over extended periods for Ick.

Are these some type of brackish betta that you have to add salt?

Because if not, this addition of salt could be affecting the babies internal balance of liquids and encouraging problems. ???

If they are freshwater, you might want to consider not adding salt in future spawns.

(They're VERY pretty babies and I hope they were and are OK.)

Aha, good to know, well... first half of them which I separated are doing well .. only bites, which are already healed. The second half - smallest group which remained in the tank are having problems. With gas bladder [going up/down] or they "jump" instead of swimming. I have been told it is some kind of developmental defect. Which is possible, because parents were from normal petshop - probably import. So I keep the best of best and maybe in next spawning they will get better and better with less losses. Anyway I had in the beggining 62, now I have 40, which is great anyway. I will send photos of my young males maybe tommorow :)

my males :]
almost looks the same, but they are not, the second one is my favourite :]

Attachments

• onja.jpg
    onja.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 84
  • druhej2.jpg
    druhej2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 72
Beautiful pictures and beautiful fish :good:

Hi. Just a thought, loss of pigment is often seen in the marble coloration gene. A marble betta will change colour and pigmentation throughout its life. Check out "lilfishie" as her marble betas change colour weekly. If they carry the marble gene at all this is a possibility. X

Hi. Just a thought, loss of pigment is often seen in the marble coloration gene. A marble betta will change colour and pigmentation throughout its life. Check out "lilfishie" as her marble betas change colour weekly. If they carry the marble gene at all this is a possibility. X

Most reactions

Back