Betta And Pearl Gouramis? Urgent.

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
:angry: My 15 gallon sjut blew a seam and i need a new home for my betta. Will he be fine with 4 pearl gouramis in a 72 gallon?

Also, what looks better. Glowlights tetras with black skirt tetras or glowlights tetras with black neon tetras?

A new 15g couldn't cost too much if all you need is a tank. Can you resilicone the tank? If a seam split you should be able to reattach it easily.

It sounds like there is a lot of room in there. I would think that the Betta would be OK you can get the 15g worked out.

well I have been wanting to get rid of my 15 gallon anyway.

How about black skirts? the pearl gourami's started to pester him and I removed him at the first sign of trouble.

I wouldn't personally risk it, gourami's and bettas occupy the same sort of space/habitat in the tank and betta's can be particularly territorial and agressive towards other fish over "their" space- pearl gourami's can also be quite agressive too.
My advise would be to find a large plastic container, like a 10litre bucket, and just put the betta in that until you either fix the current tank or buy a new one- betta should be absolutely fine a large bucket (you can make him feel more at home like put some plants, heating and maybe a little filtration in there) for the time being :good: .

Yes, the pearl male did not take him too wall so at the first nip I tapped the glass and removed betta. If it was just female pearls I probably would have been fine. the betta just sat in the middle of my three and seemed fine.

I just added him to the black skirt tetra tank. the tetras looked him over and then got back to doing nothing. SO.. I hope he will be fine there. :unsure: he seems happy in between the filters current. He is currently watching the co2 reactor blow bubbles around.

Yes, the pearl male did not take him too wall so at the first nip I tapped the glass and removed betta. If it was just female pearls I probably would have been fine. the betta just sat in the middle of my three and seemed fine.

I just added him to the black skirt tetra tank. the tetras looked him over and then got back to doing nothing. SO.. I hope he will be fine there. :unsure: he seems happy in between the filters current. He is currently watching the co2 reactor blow bubbles around.

Fish may seem fine at first for a while and then become unhappy with each other, its because for at least the first couple of days there will be no established pecking between the newcomer and the current inhabitants of the tank, but once the pecking order establishes itself, things can turn out for the worse. What other fish do you have in the tetra tank?
To be honest, he will be safest and happiest in a place on his own- a large bucket may not look great, but as long as its at least 10litres then it will make a fine and safe temporary accomodation for the betta :nod: .

When i move fish around the last time, my Betta lived in a breeding net for 4 days. He huffed somewhat, but better that than get nipped by my Bosemans at the time.

Fish may seem fine at first for a while and then become unhappy with each other, its because for at least the first couple of days there will be no established pecking between the newcomer and the current inhabitants of the tank, but once the pecking order establishes itself, things can turn out for the worse. What other fish do you have in the tetra tank?
To be honest, he will be safest and happiest in a place on his own- a large bucket may not look great, but as long as its at least 10litres then it will make a fine and safe temporary accomodation for the betta :nod: .
yeah well Mr. betta will not be getting a new home so....

Also, what looks better. Glowlights tetras with black skirt tetras or glowlights tetras with black neon tetras?
Black skirts are notorious nippers. Don't put them in with anything that has long fins. Black neons can also be quite nippy with slow fish but aren't as bad. glowlights are lovely. I'd personaly go for the glowlight-neon option and forget the skirts.

Obviosuly, that you have put a betta in with black skirts is also a pretty bad idea :p

Black skirts are notorious nippers. Don't put them in with anything that has long fins. Black neons can also be quite nippy with slow fish but aren't as bad. glowlights are lovely. I'd personaly go for the glowlight-neon option and forget the skirts.

Obviosuly, that you have put a betta in with black skirts is also a pretty bad idea :p
:good: Yeah. We will see what happens. they have not bothered him yet where as the pearl started going at him right away. the betta really does not come out and do much. He is perfectly happy sitting in his hornwort where the sun don't shine and the current does not enter. the black skirts don;t like it there but betta loves it. he set up a bubble nest for no apparent reason. I feed him back there too haha. I make sure to watch when ever he is out to see if the black skirts even look at him and so far they don't.

anyway we will see. do rainbow sharks bother bettas?

Sharks are not suitable for a tank containing bettas (and need a pretty big tank and to be kept singly anyway - what size is this tank). I don't think you should get anything new for a while anyway - give the betta a month and see whether things are still peaceful.

You should aim to only keep very peaceful, non-nippy fish with a betta. Things like harlequin rasboras and cories are good.

i have my male betta in a comunity tank with tetras, an angel a pleco n two dwarf gouramis, n they are all very happy, just depends on the personality of the fish. i have a pearl gourami in a seperate tank and in my experince they are one ot the most peaceful of the gouramis.

Most reactions

Back