Best Way To Make A Current?/

kris2112

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
im an going to be adding some denison barbs in a couple of weeks and as they like a good current in the tank
i am wondering whats is the best way to go about it.
i have a fluval 305 which i have the water in running half in and half out of the water in my tank this is making quite a few waves but i still think it is insufficiant
for the barbs.

I have an adjustable power head in my tank. It came with my tank, but brand new they are only about $20.

Yeah a powerhead, just like we all use on the salty side, buy the best one you can afford, they vary hugely in terms of quality.
VM

is there a best way to aim them or does it not make a difference

also what size should i get i have a 55g tank should i get one that will do a 100g tank?

The Hydor Koralia series of submersible circulation pumps are quite popular right now for their flexibility in providing directionality and stream width.

In general you want your filter outlet to be creating some sort of large overall across-the-top, then around-the-tank, then finishing into the filter intake type of circle. Its very rough and it doesn't really matter what overall direction (ie. back to front, angle, side to side) the circle takes (old pros please correct me here if you have opinions!) the circle takes. I'd think you'd not want an added powerhead/circulation-pump to go directly -against- that overall circle as you might be accomplishing your waterplay area to entertain the fish but you'd be defeating the overall benefits of your circle (the benefits being better movement of debris into the filter intake, better distribution of temperature, gases and dissolved substances.)

~~waterdrop~~

I use powerheads in my tanks for circulation. As stated they do vary wildly in price and quality with the pricier ones generally being better. I have a 72 gallon bowfront (euro.) With this odd shaped tank the water dosen't circulate that well with just the hob's and my canister, so I added a powerhead in the top left corner. I then aimed the output across the tank.

Your setup may vary from mine and you can experiment until you get it right. My advice would be to buy the recommended size powerhead for your tank and give it a try.

:lol: Robby, RDD and I are going to have to come down there and see that 72 some day! How long does it take you to get to Charlotte?

Most reactions

Back