Best way to layer substrate

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, after some advice regarding substrate.

My tank is going to have a wall of hardscape running from one side to the other, towards the back of the tank. There will not be any planting in the foreground, so everything in front of this wall, will be a thin layer of sand and some scatter gravel. Easy.

Behind that wall, will be the majority of my stem plants. Vallisneria, Amazon swords etc. I am looking to bulk up the substrate behind that wall to add some immediate height. Nutrients will be some form of aquasoil, and probably some crushed up root tabs. I am aware that in an ideal world, I would just bulk up the back using only aquasoil , but that is a bit expensive and I believe unnecessary. These are the ideas I have come up with.

1.) Aquasoil in mesh bags. Scatter some crushed up roots tabs. Cap with cheap sand that I will be using in foreground.

Pros - Cheap. When viewing the tank from the side, all substrate, front and back will be the same sand.
Cons - Debate amongst sand for plant growth. Debate amongst ammonia pockets in sand, especially when using so much to gain height. Will not be able to be disturbed and churned when vacuuming as it will be so heavily planted at the back.

2.) Cheap black gravel, topped with aquasoil (unsure if this would go down first, with the aquasoil on top, or the other way round)

Pros - Cheap. Will allow sufficient flow so no nasty pockets. Plants grow well.

Cons - when viewing from the side, substrate will be black at the back, and sand at the front.
Unsure if the gravel and aquasoil will mix and cause any problems?

Similar concept to this, where it appears they have used all aquasoil…

Attachments

• 61AED697-738B-48BD-B71F-2AA0B31C41F4.png
    61AED697-738B-48BD-B71F-2AA0B31C41F4.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 21
Plastic containers with lids can be used to fill space. If you plan on keeping loaches or catfish, you can make a hole in the container and have it between the rocks so the fish can use it as a cave. Then substrate goes on top of the container.

Rocks can also be used.

Last edited:
I think the thing you want under your layer of soil is lava rock chips - you can get these for things like BBQs and also plant pot toppers and they are about 2-4cm little chunks, they should work out cheaper than any aquarium options - I saw quite a big sack in a garden centre for £15 once probably twice the size of the big bags of aquarium soil/sand. You can either bag them or just put the soil on top and let it fill in some of the gaps.

Wills

Reactions: Oli
Hi guys,

Been reading that most aquasoils leach a lot of ammonia. Is this also the case if I were to bag the aquasoil and cap with sand?

Yeah, the ammonia still leaches up through sand but it does it a bit slower.

Is this the case with all Aquasoil or only certain brands? How long is this likely to take place. I plan on doing a fish in cycle using established filter material

Yeah most brands and it can last a few weeks. The one brand that does not and it’s one I’ve started using is Wio Eonian and I’ve had good results so far with it.

Most reactions

Back