Best Way To Cycle?

GTS_MAD

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey, guys im really after your thoughts of the best way to cycle a new tank, my parents just brought a 200L tank with a Rena xp3 external filter, There is a matured tank in the house to so mature media is avialible,

Any thoughts?

just add some mature media to the new filter but no more than 20% i think....! keep an eye on the water stats on the donor tank as bacteria will have been removed. fish will need to be added to the new tank straight away to keep the donated media/bacteria going but not too many fish as there will only be quite a small colony in there. then add fish a coupl at a time as if you had done a fish in cycle an you should be ok :good:
just keep an eye on water stats on both tanks though!

In my opinion...Fish in cycle, my preferred method, I trust Gordon brown more than my test kits and thats saying something! I don't test, I just do 90% water changes every 12 hours, and with me having plants it isn't really necessary, and this way I can avoid algae form the off.

well after telling them this, There not that keen on taken out filter media, as the other tank has quite a few fish in it.
They dont want to cause spikes in this tank,

What else is best fish-in or fishless?

if we done the fish-in cycle, how many fish would you reccomend and how long do we leave it?

10 or so small fish, it depends on what you want to keep in the end. what is it you plan on keeping?

if you start out with a 1/5th of your initial stock and do 90% water changes twice daily, you and the fish will be fine.

If you decide to do a fish in cycle, get lots of dechlorinator on hand and be prepared to do lots of big water changes based on the test that Truck just doesn't like to do. I refuse to poison my fish, to any degree, just because I don't like doing testing. When I was a child in my 30s, I used to kill a few fish with each new tank by following a regime of just doing a few periodic water changes and hoping for the best. I have learned since then that a distaste for water testing is no excuse for killing my fish. The typical 20% stocking level is one that can be used if you decide to do a fish-in cycle but it does not remove your responsibility to look after your new pets.

The reason I don't test is because hobby test kits are crap, how do you know yours are accurate? have you ever had them tested against lab grade equipment? because you will know that they're really un accurate if you did!

Trouble is there not at home alot, so i think fish-less cycle seems the best option then.

Is the add and wait method the easiest?

well after telling them this, There not that keen on taken out filter media, as the other tank has quite a few fish in it.
They dont want to cause spikes in this tank,

What else is best fish-in or fishless?

removing media will not create a spike in your tank unless you remove too much. generally, you can safely remove up to 1/3 of the bio-media, without sending the tank into a mini cycle.

Agree with the fish less cycle...much easier on you basically no water changes. If you really don't want to remove filter media from your established tank then you can try one of 2 things or both, the next time the filters need to be cleaned in the established tank squeeze them out into the new tank, not the best method but better then nothing. You can also take some of the substrate from the established tank and put it into the new tank, if it is the wrong colour or you just don't want to add it permanently, then put it into a nylon stocking so you can remove it later. Again neither of these options are the best, adding the media from the established tank is the best, but better than nothing. One other option I just thought of, not sure how it will work, but you could try running the new filter on the old tank, so you would have 2 filters on the old tank for a couple of weeks or even a month, that might work or at least help to jump the new filter cycle.

Many, many members on TFF have reported that removal of 1/3 of the media (this is the main biomedia portion of the media) poses little chance of spikes or other problems in the donating aquarium. Regardless of whether you need to take scissors to an established sponge or just purchase some new loose media for the donating filter and then divide up some loose media from one or more trays, this 1/3 transfer is by far the top choice for removing weeks off the fishless cycle of the new tank.

As far as *purposely* fish-in cycling a new tank, I feel this is the domain of very experienced retired aquarists or planted tank enthusiasts, both of whom, we'll generalize, have time and inclination to putter with the tank each day, including making daily water changes if necessary. This is not generally the realm of beginners or people working long hours and tired when they get home would be my guess. Anybody who's been through the tyranny of trying to keep a fish-in cycling tank below 0.25ppm trace levels knows what an extreme pain it can be (or, of course, they're not measuring, in which case its the fish, presumably, who are feeling the exteme pain.)

So to me it seems a no-brainer to choose the current state-of-the-art method and tranfer 1/3 of the biomedia, followed by verification that said biofilter has "taken" within the hardware of its new home by performing a fishless cycling procedure. A fishless cycling procedure on a 1/3 mature media transfer will most likely be just the "qualifying week" where you watch 5ppm of household ammonia drop to zero ppm ammonia and zero ppm nitrite in 12 hours or less for the entire week -- this is just such a reliable way to actually know that the biofilter will do a great job that its hard to imagine people not bothering to do it these days. To not do it is just to be left to a guess as to whether the biofilter is working properly yet.

As far as the tools to carry out the biofilter verification process, truck, you are such a good planted enthusiast and fishkeeper that it mystifies why you get so hung up on the variability of the accuracy of various test kits. Accuracy really doesn't need to take a top spot in this sort of process if its carried out properly. Its usually more about the crude but frequent and redundant recording simple results to get a little verification of a process you know the outline of. For instance, the multiday back and forth of green, yellow, green, yellow of an API ammonia test result is more important than necessarily knowing whether the green was 1.0 or 3.0 or 5.0 when you happened to take it (granted of course that we hope to avoid the really dark greens that might indicate 8.0) The chemicals that make up these kits are just not that complicated. They will be "good enough" the vast majority of the time and the process itself will expose the occasional bad kit, I feel.

Just having beginners exposed to the exchange of information about biofilters and fishless cycling *at all* is such a big thing.

Anyway, for GTS, I think the 1/3 MM move with household ammonia driven fishless cycling verification of biofilter function would by far be the top choice. If the parents just won't do that (which would be a shame) then the washing of the MM in the new tank while it is undergoing a fishless cycle would be a second choice, somewhat far down from the top choice. Then the other choices, gravel moving, running 2 filters for a while, etc. are all going to be way, way down from these top ones and not that different from the typical long fishless cycles we see here.

To me though, all these fishless cycle alternatives represent the simple idea of verifying the biofilter operation and thus knowing you've done your best to give these fish a clean, healthy environment prior to them coming to your home, so that they won't suffer even minor gill and nerve damage that you likely wouldn't have much way of knowing.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi, Newbie here but reading your articles with great interest!

I'm sold on the fish-less cycling idea but I wondered, in order to speed things up whilst I'm waiting for my Tank , Caribsea, etc. to arrive, if it would be safe to start the internal filter running in an old goldfish bowl in order to establish the bacteria colony (upto 500 litres/hour turnover - but can presumably be adjusted?).

Probably not a sensible idea but I thought I'd ask in case anyone had tried this or a similar method.

Too impatient to have the Aquarium established by Christmas, I guess... :rolleyes:

In my opinion...Fish in cycle, my preferred method, I trust Gordon brown more than my test kits and thats saying something! I don't test, I just do 90% water changes every 12 hours, and with me having plants it isn't really necessary, and this way I can avoid algae form the off.

You trust Gordon Brown :no: I am speechless

Most reactions

Back