Best Temperature for Danios

KerriPaul

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone got recomendations for the best temperature for a danio tank?

Not sure..but..my school of turquoise danios are doing just great at 75 degrees. SH

They are a cooler than normal tropical temperature fish. TFF index says 65-75F.

However, I keep mine at about 75-77 because my flat is quite warm most of the time and I prefer to keep it constant rather than setting my heater low and the ambient temperature keeping the temp up during the day but not at night sort of thing.

My LFS has them seperated and labelled as a 'cool water variety' and a 'tropical variety'. I suppose their theory there is that they are just acclimatised to the different temps.

So, no definitive answer from me, just what I know :)

edit...I'm talking about Zebra Danios there though of course. I hear Danios and automatically think 'Zebra' !

I would keep them at 70 or so.

Steelhealr, do you know the scientific name of your danios? I am wondering if they are the same as blue danios.

paul
it all depends on the species of danio
D.rerio for instance can take a range of 18-24c / 64-75f
where as D.kerri can oly take 23-25c / 73-77f
and D.choprae are ok with 22-26c / 71-79f

just these three species have an optimum range of 23c / 73.4f

steelhealr said:
Not sure..but..my school of turquoise danios are doing just great at 75 degrees. SH
Devario devario
aka bengal danio, aka sind danio, aka turquoise danio
temp range is 15-26c / 59-76f
so you are keeping them within their correct temp :)

Devario devario
aka bengal danio, aka sind danio, aka turquoise danio
temp range is 15-26c / 59-76f

Wolf are you sure - as far as I know the turquoise Danio is Danio Kerri. Look up Turquoise Danio and see what comes up!

paul

I'm lowering mine gradually now. I had them at about 82 - they were ok but I was losing a few to Dropsy and from memory they seem more vulnerable to this at High temperatures.

Ive got myself a 1000mmx500mmx500mm tank for them now which has space in the cabinet below for 3x10 gallon tanks for spawning/fry, so I'm going to stop "filter breeding" them in the community tank and have a proper go.

Danio Nigrofasciatus and Danio Goldring are first on the list!

KerriPaul said:
Wolf are you sure - as far as I know the turquoise Danio is Danio Kerri. Look up Turquoise Danio and see what comes up!
yep I'm sure.

this is the trouble with common names
two different fish can have the same one.

BTW my referance is Kullander, F. F., 2001
and Kottelat, M. 2003. (Nomenclatural status of Devario devario. )

Hi FishBuddy....brachydanio kerri is the classification. I have 6 and got them for 'top dwellers'...and that they are....very active, great schooling fish and HUGE APPETITES for such little guys. The only thing is that when they pass under the light, they look pink...further away a beautiful turquoise blue. SH

Steelhealr, yep we have the same species then. When they pass under the light I notice a reflective pink band on their head to their dorsal fin- absolutely beautiful.

Wolf, do you know where these scientific papers can be accessed/read?

The-Wolf said:
paul

Just wanted to add, I believe they aclimate to warmer temperatures fairly well. My tank max's at 28 to 30 deg C during the Summer (now) and without going to the expense of a chiller, that's how it has to be I'm afraid.

Now I have 3 leopard danios that are doing really well. In fact, I bought a new bushy plant the other day, and they spent the next morning (when it was a bit cooler) spawning through it (chased by the rest of the tank looking for eggs) :rolleyes:

None of the fish stores use chillers, and even evaporative cooling doesn't work well here, being high humidty. However even real coldwater species, like Mountain Cloud minnows do OK.

I agree with another poster, I set my heaters a little higher to avoid too large a swing.

KerriPaul said:

Wolf, do you know where these scientific papers can be accessed/read?
on the net i have no idea :dunno:
I got them from variouse books at my local libary

in stock as I went to the county libary (ie the one that holds books for all of kent)
I'm sorry I don't know which ones they were in I looked at so many.

Most reactions

Back