Best placement for 2 canister filters

Bravof56

Reaction score
Hello I have 55 gallon tank and 2 canister filter what is the best placement for inlets and outlets
Thanks

Is there a reason you have two canisters? I'd like to know this before suggesting filter placement. And what fish are in the tank or intended?

Is there a reason you have two canisters? I'd like to know this before suggesting filter placement. And what fish are in the tank or intended?
I am going to be putting mbuna in the tank and I have read they are very messy fish so having to filter is best

I am going to be putting mbuna in the tank and I have read they are very messy fish so having to filter is best

OK, that helps. I would do one at each end of the tank, but have the filter intake and the filter return for each filter at opposite ends, not the same end. This will provide a thorough water movement throughout the tank. So canister "A" has the intake in the left rear corner, and the return in the right rear corner, while canister "B" has the intake on the right end and the return at the left end.

OK, that helps. I would do one at each end of the tank, but have the filter intake and the filter return for each filter at opposite ends, not the same end. This will provide a thorough water movement throughout the tank. So canister "A" has the intake in the left rear corner, and the return in the right rear corner, while canister "B" has the intake on the right end and the return at the left end.
Ok great thanks

So long as filter A water doesn't get sucked in by filter B intake and filter B doesn't supply already filtered water to filter A intake. I would direct the outlets well away from the inlets and then you will get a flow around the tank.

Most reactions

Back