Best Job For A Fish Keeper?

What job would you want most?

• Total voters

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
What fish job would you want? I think being a tank cleaner for a puplic aquarium would be awesome. You get to scuba dive in a huge fish tank. It would be cool to be in the tank and look out and see the people.

I voted Scuba Tour guide, but boat captain would also be very cool. I would try to specialize in spearfishing if i were to do that but either way very cool.

My opinion.

Cool thread.

I've done 3 of them job's

I've worked on Fish farms from the age of 16 till i was 25
Then work now cleaning fish tanks all over the south UK.

and also work in a shop now and then.

I love it :)

I had to vote other. The best job for a dedicated fish keeper is one that can make lots of money so you can afford the hobby. That way you can enjoy the hobby without always pinching pennies. Let's face it, this can be an expensive way to spend your spare time, relaxing as it may be.

I voted for other and here's why.

I enjoy mu hobby immensely, but if I had to do it as a job, then I think it would detract from the pleasure I get from doing it just as a hobby, if that makes sense.

I vote for aquarium shop worker, because you get to keep care of all the fish in their and make sure they are doing well. You also get to instruct newbie fish keepers on how to care for the fish they choose.

Whilst I agree with Howard to a certain extent.
I had the opportunity to visit a small eco-island off the southern tip of Great Barrier Reef called Lady Elliot
http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

156.jpg

A view from our plane as we approached the island's central grass run-strip.

Stayed a couple of nights and got friendly with an Aussie bloke who was a Japanese tour guide.
He flew in and out of the island on a daily basis from the mainland (QLD) and taught us various aspects of the ecological environment which surrounded us. The islands resources are well managed and only 100 people are allowed onto it at any given time.
Sea, Sunshine, Human and Natural History interaction has got to be one of the most satisfying jobs going. I would even forgo a massive salary to have a job like his.

Regards
C

Got to say i'm an aquarium shop worker and it has it's perks! This week i got paid in fish so i could fully stock my 20gal :rolleyes: I also find working in the shop very rewarding an enjoyable especially when you build a relasionship with the customers and get to know their stocking etc, helping newbies is also great a you know that you can give them sound advise and they almost always appreciate it as it saves them both time and money, even the tank scrubbing although annoying at times is acually kind of fun as you get to interact with the fish.
I for instance have 5 tanks but the largest i have or can fit in my available space (my bedroom)is a 20gal. But of course i love larger fish and i'm extreamly interested and i love New world cichlids and despite me owning dwarfs i have always wanted a huge tank with some seriouse stocking. At work i can get that, we have everything from severums to koi to a 4ft red tailed catfish in an indoor heated pond with a fully grown pacu and black shark. We even have a display tank of full grown wild caught frontosas. At work i can interact and care for all these fish and learn as i go too. I find that the more you explain fish stocking or about cycleing the more you understand it yourself and i have also gained a nak for fish medications and whats needed.

All in all i love my job and after a hard but fun day at work ni can still come home and enjoy my 5 tanks just as much :good:

I have a sub job I just started this weekend where I dipnet for fish and sell them to a pet store.

Depends if we're talking real life or not...in an ideal world I would like to be a 'professional' fish breeder.

Ie. have enough tanks/space to supply 1000's of various species of fish, particularly rarer ones.

And then know that I'm selling on healthy and top quality fish into the UK market...but obviously that would cost a hell of alot to set up! (However I would genuinely enjoy the maintenance etc, presuming it was my full time job, and not just a hobby)

i reckon that being a vet is the best job. probably because i want this job when i am older, but also because you get loads of money to pay for tanks, and you get to work with animals, which is an added bonus! :D

i reckon that being a vet is the best job. probably because i want this job when i am older, but also because you get loads of money to pay for tanks, and you get to work with animals, which is an added bonus! :D

being a vet you don't work with fish normaly. I was a vet tech for a 5 years. Lots of fun and really gross the smell omg nasty.Being a vet or vet tech is very rewarding but not a fish job.

I agree with Howard_Hopkinson, I love my fish but would hate to doit for a living.

I work in business and love it ^^

Most reactions

Back