Best Glass Tanks

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
Newly returned to the hobby after years away, the only glass tanks I seem to be seeing in the bigbox and LFS are "Marineland". These tanks have fairly thin glass sides and bottoms and plastic edges around top rim and bottom edges.

Do higher quality tanks exist? Are there tanks that inspire confidence against leakage?

And even beyond that question, can anyone out there venture a bottom to top quality list of brands of tanks available in the US (or whatever ones they can think of, sort of ranked? you know what I mean.)

Thanks, waterdrop

Are here in the lfs you mostly find Marineland or Top Fin, while the glass does indeed look thin it holds up well. I have a Marineland 75gal with 130lbs of rock that's been going strong for about 3 years.

There is also the Oceanic brand that can be found, mostly marketed for saltwater, they seem to be a bit more heavy duty.

All glass has merged with some other company and they are called aqueon now. Get one of these. Stay away from anything else if you are going for a tank over 40 gallons or you are in for some trouble. Oddysea, stay away from them no matter what. Every single tank that ive seen them make leaks.

all glass (or whatever they are called now) is the best IMO. Superb quality, especially for the larger sized tanks.

Interesting. Yes, I see at aqueonproducts.com that all-glass now goes by that name and they have have a bowfront very similar to my son's but a 26G instead of a 28 and it doesn't have plastic braces across the middle like the "marineland" 28 from petsmart. I wonder where these topfin petsmart marineland ones come from?

They have now swapped mine out for me, with no hassle, which is good, but of course I'll be nervous that it might happen again.

~~waterdrop~~

well, my little saga (gritty details in "Oliver's tank gives way" over in "New to the Hobby" ) has morphed from being about the tank to being about the matching tank stand -- it had a poor design.

Now I'm plunged into thinking about foam to go between tank and stand... all thoughts welcome

All those who were not reading this in the first place can now relax and forget it :)

We are off and running with a matching replacement stand and tank and I've ended up just putting plastic moisture barrier between floating base plastic and the top board which is some sort of particle or plywood material covered by melamine type stuff.

thanks for all the help above - someday I hope to get some sort of different and very nice tank

i have an AGA 55g .. recently got a JEBO .. i think they're made in california or something, good tank if you like rounded corners

Newly returned to the hobby after years away, the only glass tanks I seem to be seeing in the bigbox and LFS are "Marineland". These tanks have fairly thin glass sides and bottoms and plastic edges around top rim and bottom edges.

Do higher quality tanks exist? Are there tanks that inspire confidence against leakage?

And even beyond that question, can anyone out there venture a bottom to top quality list of brands of tanks available in the US (or whatever ones they can think of, sort of ranked? you know what I mean.)

Thanks, waterdrop

I read a lot that "Pilkinton Float" glass is very good, but also the glass thickness counts for a lot as well. Some people for example make 6ft tanks using 10mill glass (to make cheaper tanks), while others use 12 mill glass

Most reactions

Back