Best Filter In Canada For A Betta In A 10 Gallon?

ILoveBettas09

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm looking into getting a betta fish! I found a great deal for a 10 gallon tank, but I need a filter for it. Thank you in advance! :)

Also, I really don't have any experience with filters. I was looking at sponge filters and I think you need a tube to attach to it or something

I stay in the UK so can't help for canada, Perhaps link a few filters you think are suitable for the tank and I can help.

if you are only getting one betta for a 10 gallon, a properly sized sponge filter would be just fine...and not too much current to affect the betta swimming.....you could also put an airstone on the opposite side of the tank from the filter for better water circulation...

in my 29 gal and my 35 gallon I run both a sponge filter and a hob filter...great for over filtration and water cirulation....

I agree on the single sponge filter.  I have this in my 10g, and dual sponges in my 20g, 29g, 33g and 40g tanks.  They connect to an air pump.  In a 10g, any other filter will only take up space and produce currents.

As you are in Canada (like me), a good air pump that is absolutely silen but durable is this one:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=fusion+air+pumps
This store happens to be here in Vancouver area, but these pumps are available elsewhere and online.  The smallest (the 200) would be sufficient for the one tank.  You need a length of air line to connect the pump to the sponge filter.

Byron.

I think a hang on back filter is the best way to go.

Something like this is perfect and its adjustable.

ClearView 100 - Aqua One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxC_jObOak

If you're putting substrate(gravel) and decoration into the tank, a sponge filter won't give the proper water flow and the air pump can get loud. You can get a HOB(hang on back of tank) filter rated for 10 gallons and it will run silently. It will be easier and cheaper to find filters too plus you can get it all from Walmart so it's a low price bargain.

I would not use an HOB on this small a tank.  The water flow will be too strong, and you do not need all this with a single Betta.  I would have no filter at all before going with an HOB here.

The sponge filter is well suited to this application.  I ran my 10g without a filter for over a year, with live plants and small fish.  It was an experiment, but the fish were healthy.  I moved the tank and added a sponge filter to keep the water clearer (not cleaner, which is not the same as clearer).  Sponge filters are still one of the best methods of filtration.  As I said previously, I use them in all my tanks up to the 40 gallon.

To be honest, a HOB is the last filter I would ever even consider using, which means I would not.  I had these back in the 1980's, and the power went out for a few minutes one day I was not home, and I returned to the smell of burnt oil as the HOB drained itself and burnt out.  I don't know if they are the same today, but then they did not have any sort of self-priming.

I would not use an HOB on this small a tank.  The water flow will be too strong
I disagree especially if the flow can be adjusted,

Contrary to popular opinion on the net,  Bettas can handle a bit of current.

NickAu said:

I would not use an HOB on this small a tank.  The water flow will be too strong
I disagree especially if the flow can be adjusted,

Contrary to popular opinion on the net,  Bettas can handle a bit of current.

What a fish can "handle" and what it should have may be totally different, as here.  After all, they can "handle" living in a cup of water on the fish store shelf, but that does not mean they should be forced into that situation.  I trust you will agree after giving this some thought.
fish.gif

The natural habitat of Betta splendens is still and sluggish water such as rice paddies, swamps, ponds, ditches (roadside) and small streams.

The natural habitat of Betta splendens is still and sluggish water
Yes sluggish is fine,

As long as your fish can " hover "  in one spot without being pushed around by the current its fine.

This 2 foot tank has a canister filter on it and it is turning over 300 liters per hour, You may notice the fish has no problems, other than the fact he wants to eat my fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkbaCoI5nx4

I bought a mini canister filter by SunSun. I have it in my 5 gallon betta tank. I have the spray bar pointed towards the back of the tank and he seems fine with it. I have a bunch of crypt wendtii right under it and you can see them waving. But that's really the only spot in the back but its not bad at all. I love it!

https://www.amazon.com/TechnToy-HW-603B-3-Stage-External-Canister/dp/B00CC6SCJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1468944968&sr=1-1&keywords=SunSun+HW-603B

I do plan on putting this in a ten gallon when I go to upgrade his tank. It is made for up to 20 gallons.

A correctly set up filter is no problem

This is the ideal setup for a Betta, Low light lots of plants that I do not fertilize and sluggish current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgO_sNKcHo

Greetings:
My .02$ if that is ok.
First congratulations for choosing to keep your Betta in a 10 gallon tank. They really flourish once you get them out of those little bowls.
I've kept Bettas in 10s and and a 5 gallon tank and have used HOB filters with no problem. The trick is to slow down the water flow. I like to use a bit of sponge material with a slit in it to slip over the intake of the filter. Rinse at water change.
Some HOBs now have a flow adjustment.
Of course: YMMV.
That said, I am in the process of switching over to sponge filters in my smaller tanks.
Kiss principal and for all the other reasons mentioned above.
Good luck with your new pet.
March...

Update to my post:
Removed the HOB and fired up the sponge filter yesterday.
What a difference.
Marcus (all my Bettas get roman names) can now pause anywhere in the tank and display full fins.
Swimming is now more languid and graceful.
Feeding is easier. Instead of Marcus chasing his food around the tank, it bobs around pretty much close to the top.
Circulation seems adequate. Bubbles from the out-take break up the surface enough that there is no oily slick.
Should have done this a long time ago.
Tank is a planted 5.5 gallon. I'd probably go with the same for a 10.
Filter is an ATI #1.
Pump is a MillionAir MA-80.
Would like a quieter pump.
Wrapped this one in a towel, placed it in a box, and put it in the overhead closet.
pretty quiet now.
smart.gif

Cheers!
March...

Most reactions

Back