Best faucet to use for python

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In addition to killing my last albino bristle nose doing water changes sunday, I also blew the bathroom faucet I have been hooking up to for 9 years. Back pressure from having a hose in tank after turned off has always caused a little drip, get it out fast, but this time now the faucet leaks any time in use. I guess the little canister inside that is supposed to prevent backflow is a goner. I have to go buy a new faucet. (although the handles are somewhat ok anyway). Suggest a style or brand?

I don't believe backpressure was the cause of the valve leaking, likely just wear and tear, but I could be wrong. I just plumbed in a sink to use for cleaning the dog and filling tanks and for it I got a delta laundry faucet using traditional values with the hot water side feed through a temperature regulator to make filling the tanks easier. Unfortunately, this solution would not be appropriate in a typical home bathroom, but it is easy to fix, cheap, and has a threaded outlet making attaching the python syphon easy if you use that portion of your python.

I don't believe backpressure was the cause of the valve leaking, likely just wear and tear, but I could be wrong. I just plumbed in a sink to use for cleaning the dog and filling tanks and for it I got a delta laundry faucet using traditional values with the hot water side feed through a temperature regulator to make filling the tanks easier. Unfortunately, this solution would not be appropriate in a typical home bathroom, but it is easy to fix, cheap, and has a threaded outlet making attaching the python syphon easy if you use that portion of your python.

That’s exactly the faucet type that I have in the basement laundry room. Mine is over 70 years old and other than replacing washers, it works great. Has threads to attach a garden hose or python siphon. Has lots of water pressure and is easy to regulate temperature.

unfortunately I had to get another bathroom faucet with an 8 inch spread. I like the plumbing in it better than the one my helper just removed. Solid, no kinked hose, and didn't have to switch to pex.

That’s exactly the faucet type that I have in the basement laundry room. Mine is over 70 years old and other than replacing washers, it works great. Has threads to attach a garden hose or python siphon. Has lots of water pressure and is easy to regulate temperature.

:blink: same here too, was bought used in 1952... I think they are in made since 1920 if not before.

I would also suspect that it is just a washer that needs replaced which is an easy fix. LOL! Just make sure to turn off the water valve under the sink before removing the valve body (the part that holds the faucet handle). ;)

@Alice B
Usually just shutting off the valves under the sink will suffice to change the washer or entire faucet. But if the plumbing is very old, be sure you know where the water shutoff valve for the whole house is located in case the following happens to you.
There is some swearing in this video so dont watch if you are sensitive to that. Or you could turn off the volume.

Last edited:
it was poor design on the part of the faucet mfgr, it always leaked a little if I had a hose in a tank, and I could no longer connect the hose to the faucet because the threads were stripped so I just installed a new one.

this one is not as fancy where the aerator connects, easier to line up so I won't damage threads. kept the old stopper though, easy clean filter in it. It's a bathroom. A laundry faucet would look funny

Attachments

• 20240821_160122.jpg
    20240821_160122.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 10

Most reactions

Back