Best External

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
What do you think the best external filter is?

I am thinking of getting one from this website, but I'm not sure what would be the best one to have.

Cheers,

Mike

Eheim is by far the best, i really dont think anyone will disagree but they are the most expensive

Eheim is by far the best, i really dont think anyone will disagree but they are the most expensive

yes, I was only planning to get an Ehiem, but which one would be the best?

depends on tank size, stocking levels and how dirty your fish are and some even have heaters built in !

I am planning to setup a west african biotope. It contains roughly 130 litres and I'll
have quite a high stocking. I already have a heater so there's not much point of getting one with a built in heater.
I'm thinking of getting the Ehiem classic as they're still quite good and a lot cheaper than the rest.

I have both a rena and a ehiem classic.......I like my reyna a bit more....better water flower, better to prime and its cheaper......eheim pro 2 and rena 3 are very gd

yes, I was only planning to get an Ehiem, but which one would be the best?

eheim pro 2

We'll I'll disagree. I have had constant problems with my Thermofilter. I have always had Eheims, but no more. I had constant problems with air in the system, as did someone else on this forum. Once it got so much air in it that the impeller ran dry! My LFS (a well respected one) informed me that there was a problem with some earlier models. I got another one, I still had the air problem, and then the thermostat went wrong, as had someone elses on this forum this week. I totally lost faith with these filters and bought a Tetratec EX700, which has been fault free-no air! Much cheaper and better designed in some ways, although maybe not as solidly built.
I don't know what causes this air problem, I use CO2 diffused into the tank, maybe it collects somewhere, but the fact of the matter is my 2 examples didn't work properly. it could have been me-but lets face it there is not much that you can do wrong.

Alan

I've had a Rena XP3 for 3/4 years, and I've found it to be generally very good, simple, effective, but imperfect.

The rena has a lever on top that isolates the canister from the tubes to the tank, you use the lever, take the canister away, and clean it. Great. I often find that after I do this it gurgles away for some time, I cleaned my filter today and it's been gurgling for 6 hours now I think. I refill it with tank water before putting the lid back on to try and minimise the problem, but it tends to do it anyway.

I've never owned an Eheim to compare with it, but when my Rena packs up I would certainly like to find a new external that doesn't have this problem, if I can so so without compromising the simple effectiveness of the Rena.

can you adjust the power of these filters. i am planning on upgrading my filter soon but am also considering getting a much larger tank in the near(ish) future (hopefully about 200).

cheers

sam

can you adjust the power of these filters. i am planning on upgrading my filter soon but am also considering getting a much larger tank in the near(ish) future (hopefully about 200).

cheers

sam

You certainly can with the tetraTec EX rang and the Eheim professional ranges.

Alan

can you adjust the power of these filters.

You certainly can with the tetraTec EX rang and the Eheim professional ranges.

Rena too. There is a tap on the return outlet that you use to restrict flow. Or, for those that want to do the opposite there is also a nozzle that funnels the outlet, making it faster, and turning smaller tanks into a whirlpool LOL.

any external except fluval are good, it all depends on what your needs are.
for what you have suggested Mlawson,
I'd go with tetratec ex1200, eheim pro2 2028, eheim classic 2217 or a jebo (LAC) 809

eheim pro2 2028

Wolf,

Any reason you would go with this one over and above the 2026.

The 2026 is for about 90 gallons or so, and his tank is 130 litres.. So more than enough filtration.

Squid

Most reactions

Back