Berried? UPDATE

Jem123

Reaction score
This shrimp is berried right? If not, what is wrong with her?
If she is berried, judging on the pics, how long do you think until I have baby shrimp to take care of?

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_143745_edit_1528012771656421.jpg
    IMG_20240508_143745_edit_1528012771656421.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240508_143804_edit_1528051511424123.jpg
    IMG_20240508_143804_edit_1528051511424123.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 14
It looks like she is carrying eggs. As to when they will hatch, it depends on how long she has had them for. They normally carry them for about a month, sometimes a little longer.

Prepare for sooner than later, when the eggs starts to become loose, it's coming soon.

What else is in the tank with the shrimps, fish and plants? If there are enough places for the shrimplets to hide they'll be OK unless you have fish which actively hunt small creatures.

The biggest danger is you - newly hatched shrimps are tiny and easily siphoned up. When I do a water change I empty the bucket with a jug to find the shrimps I've sucked up. My record was 32 in one water change.

That depends on your setup.

Like already mentioned above. If you have fishes that will hunt small critters, the odds increases with hiding places the fishes cannot reach.

In a shrimp only tank. Your filtration system must have a protected input to prevent babies from being sucked up. Some biofilm and algae are necessary for the first 2 weeks, then the babies will have a go to bigger food particles.

In a Fish tank. If you want, you can raise the babies 3 weeks in a nursery, with a clump of moss and feeding powdered food, then release them in the tank during night time and complete darkness.

What else is in the tank with the shrimps, fish and plants? If there are enough places for the shrimplets to hide they'll be OK unless you have fish which actively hunt small creatures.

The biggest danger is you - newly hatched shrimps are tiny and easily siphoned up. When I do a water change I empty the bucket with a jug to find the shrimps I've sucked up. My record was 32 in one water change.
Wow 😆. They have moss ball's to hide in and other plants are silk. There are four pretty small adult guppies and two small ottos

That depends on your setup.

Like already mentioned above. If you have fishes that will hunt small critters, the odds increases with hiding places the fishes cannot reach.

In a shrimp only tank. Your filtration system must have a protected input to prevent babies from being sucked up. Some biofilm and algae are necessary for the first 2 weeks, then the babies will have a go to bigger food particles.

In a Fish tank. If you want, you can raise the babies 3 weeks in a nursery, with a clump of moss and feeding powdered food, then release them in the tank during night time and complete darkness.
My filter system may be an issue, if I move to a nursery box within the tank would the flow be sufficient?

Also, if I put the nursery box in, should I put mum in straight away just incase they hatch soon and get sucked into the filter, or would it likely stress mum out too much?

She'd probably climb out.

I think what I'd do is leave her in the tank, but go out and buy some elodea. And some Java moss but that will take a while to grow enough to shelter shrimplets, so that's for future batches, assuming you have at least one male and one female shrimp. The elodea can be left floating until the moss has grown enough.

Your nursery will need to have some artificial water movement, if the current from the tank does not move the interior of the nursery, you can pour tank water in it 2-3 times a day to make sure ammonia does not rise inside.

A moss ball and a single, conditioned Indian almond leaf can provide additional hiding places, a little tannins and biofilm growth for the mommy and shrimplets to eat once hatched.

I personally only use a sponge filter, in my cherry shrimp tank, same in the tank my scuds are going into ( which I'm hoping will reproduce... even adult scuds are the size of baby shrimp ) both of these tanks will have a small pump in the tank, for water changes the pump will be in a small plastic box with holes in it & a fine mesh ( think women's nylons ) over the outside of the box, to keep from sucking up any babies

Your nursery will need to have some artificial water movement, if the current from the tank does not move the interior of the nursery, you can pour tank water in it 2-3 times a day to make sure ammonia does not rise inside.

A moss ball and a single, conditioned Indian almond leaf can provide additional hiding places, a little tannins and biofilm growth for the mommy and shrimplets to eat once hatched.
Thank you. Condition the leaf meaning soak or boil?

I personally only use a sponge filter, in my cherry shrimp tank, same in the tank my scuds are going into ( which I'm hoping will reproduce... even adult scuds are the size of baby shrimp ) both of these tanks will have a small pump in the tank, for water changes the pump will be in a small plastic box with holes in it & a fine mesh ( think women's nylons ) over the outside of the box, to keep from sucking up any babies
I do need to buy a sponge filter I think. In the short term, I'll probably attach a mesh around the filter tube. I tried a fabric cutting from a laundry bag but I think it was too thick as the filter wasn't picking up anything and I quickly had to do a major water change last week. Thankfully, everybody survived

Most reactions

Back