Beginning of Fungus?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wdavidnc

Reaction score
I have a juvenile severum that I've had for about a month. The last few days I noticed a white growth on it's back and it hasn't really spread since. It is still acting normal and is excited about feeding time. I've not seen a decrease in its colors either. I know the pictures aren't the best but its a fast swimmer. The growth doesn't really look like a cottony fungus but more a film maybe? Any ideas on what it is and best remedies? None of my other fish have any issues that I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG958678.jpg
    IMG958678.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sev1.jpg
    Sev1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 141
Usually filmy looking stuff is bacteria related. You can try quaranting him if he's in a larger tank w/ tank mates and treat him with antibiotics, or you can do a daily bath of Methylene blue. The liquid med called QuIck cure is also useful as a bath and might be able to take care of it. Do not use both at the same time, just chose whichever one you can find/have on hand.

Add roughly 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and let him sit for a good half hour or so. Keep the water up to temp and maybe add an air stone. After the bath just place him back in the tank.

As a side note, most illnesses are caused by stress due to bad water quality. Can you test for nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia? Even if they are not high I think a few extra water changes will do him good.

Most reactions

Back