Before I Take The Plunge...

ou didnt mention where you live...
if you are in the UK i know there are some beautifull bettas for sale on ebay!:)

if US aqaubid is our best option!

:good:
Can anybody point me towards a good place to get one of these types of Betta in the Toronto, Canada area? I love blue and I've only been able to find a few red on Kijiji.
he's in canada. :)

oohh yeah!

haha i have a black orchid combetail im doing a spawn with this month.....
may see what comes out ill give ya a shout if anything decent turn up...

I don't know what shape tank you are looking for, but I got a nice 2.5 gal from Big Al's, with sand, plants, and a glass lid to prevent jumping for $15. It's 12" L, 8 " H, and 6" W. I have it at my office where the temp is always 78, so I don't use heater or filter, but do do WC frequently. I also bought a seperate light to sit on the top as well. I don't know how you feel about Big Al's either, but from time to time they have some very nice CT, DT and HMs in there.

If you were closer to Georgetown, there's a little fish store there I would recommend for betta's as well. The import and breed themselves.

I just wanted to add that the 2-5 gallon heater from walmart can be junk...Ive had 2 that didnt work and the one that does work only stayed at 76 ...and was not adjustable.

if you go with it, I would do a test for a few days to make sure it heats and stays working:)

you have done an great job doing research!

It's always great to see a new fish owner asking questions!

Do you have Petco in Canada? Mine carries deltas, crowntails, and halfmoons and their bettas generally look really healthy, believe it or not.

As for Aquabid... bettas actually do really well in the mail. I've imported maybe 20 fish over the last few years and I've never had one die or arrive in bad condition. My local weather has been terrible lately but I've still been importing fish with no problems. The transhipper sends them overnight with a heat pack and it seems to work just fine.

No matter what heater you go with, test it first to make sure it's keeping the water in a good range... and around 78 degrees seems to be best. 86 is pretty hot!

I think a tank with filter might be easier in an office, frequent water changes might be perceived as disruptive to workflow by co-workers(if you've got busy-bodies around) I went with a Marineland Biowheel 3 gallon set up with the built in filter and lights, and I don't necessarily recommend it for the following reasons, I've found that the filter flow is a bit strong and have needed to cut it back with some sponge. I've also found that the filter motor keeps the tank at about 80 and with the lights in the hood on 82. In my case, I'm in Minnesota, we keep the house temp low in the winter so I was getting a wide temp variation between day and night, so I use a 25 watt heater that has an auto shut off feature so it runs for a bit and when the temp gets to the desired setting it shuts off.. I keep it set at 78. I For this reason I went with silk plants(not live) because the plastic ones can be scrapy, and I leave the tank lights off most all the time. I'm only in fish myself since October and had a bit of trial and error before joining this wonderful forum. Knowing what I know now, I would have started out with larger tanks, and a separate filter and light set ups.

Hi everybody,

I would like to extend my most heartfelt thanks to you all for your very rapid and detailed responses. I very much appreciate every one!

Thanks a lot for correcting my error on the temperature settings. I’ve already changed the optimal settings to 76-82F in my Betta File - a quick-reference resource I’ve compiled to aid in the care and maintenance of my fishy friend.

I plan to set up the tank and have it running for a few days prior to buying the fish. I want to make sure that the environment is perfect and if anything needs adjusting, I can make the changes without disturbing the Betta.

I thought of a 2.5 gallon tank because it needs to fit on my desk, and the measurements I provided are the maximum dimensions I have to work with. However, I’ll investigate the possibility of a larger tank (5g) elsewhere in my office. I just wanted it to be close to me so I can enjoy the company of the Betta more directly. I believe he will provide a lot of stress relief, although I would not want to skimp on his comfort for my own. That is why I selected a 2.5g tank as a minimum.

I do plan to get an aquarium with a lid. I consider a lid an absolute must.

I don't know what shape tank you are looking for, but I got a nice 2.5 gal from Big Al's, with sand, plants, and a glass lid to prevent jumping for $15. It's 12" L, 8 " H, and 6" W.

That sounds interesting! Do you by chance remember the brand? I’d like to check it out.

Thank you to all who commented about AquaBids! I have been checking it out even more and I wish I already had my tank because there are several fish that really catch my eye. What a fantastic selection! (I’ve been an eBay member for several years, so I am careful to check out the sellers feedback history prior to making a purchase.)

However, I will be making a trip to Big Al’s, PetCo and PetSmart prior to turning to online. I might luck out and be able to find a nice Betta in person, so I can also check out the water quality and health. (I’ve read that some Bettas are ‘messier’ than others and you can often tell by the water quality in person.)

Oh, and yes, I am Canadian from Toronto.

I have the elite mini filter in my betta's tank. The flow can be turned down really low. As far as changing the media though, I've had mine for over a year and the original sponge is still going strong. As there's only the one sponge, if you do want to change it, cut it in half and do one piece at a time.

Thank you! That tip has been added to my journal. I've also noted blue_betta's tip about using a sponge filter, or using a sponge on the Elite Mini to dissipate water flow by turning the output towards the glass. Thanks blue_betta!

... so I use a 25 watt heater that has an auto shut off feature so it runs for a bit and when the temp gets to the desired setting it shuts off.. I keep it set at 78. I For this reason I went with silk plants(not live) because the plastic ones can be scrapy, and I leave the tank lights off most all the time.

Can you please tell me the brand name of the heater you use? I’m unsure if the “Mini-Therm 25W 6” heater” has an auto-shut off feature.

Are you also going to purchase a nitrate, nitrite and ammonia test kit you will need it..

Will do! I assume there are other posts on this site that explain how to use them for Bettas, so I’ll read up about it.

I will also be reading more about fishless Cycling. (Thanks Amunet!)

Thanks again so much for the information everybody! Please feel free to mention more points of interest and fact. I am open to any and all comments! If I've not thanked you by name, please don't be offended. I'm overwhelmed by all the fantastic (and so rapid!) replies, but I am quite grateful to all. Until now my only pets have been of the reptile variety, due to moms sever allergies to anything furry when I was growing up at home. But I don't think I missed out, because I really am more of a reptile person. Now I am a little bit 'fishy' too. :rolleyes:

Finally a betta owner does his research!
Great tank size, but I personally suggest that you don't change his water so much, it may easily cause unwanted stress, and possible temperature changes. Maybe a 25% once a week, considering you have a filter, and change the filter pad once every month. If the filter does not work out, then you can do your large changes.
I suggest also you supply live plants for your betta, I have found Elodea works amazingly.
As for the hod, be sure there are no large gaps from which your beloved betta may jump, and I also suggest you cut your heater in half, and/or use a strong lightulb in the hood to heat the tank. (Yes this works aswell)
You could ask your Local fish store to order you some bettas, or you can buy off aquabid. Search around your area aswell, because you just might find a store that sells what you are looking for.

Your betta will also need mental stimulation, as odd as that may sound, so I would also bring a mirror to work, and show it to him for a couple minutes every other day. This is also the reason for live plants, and/or decor. Nothing to tear your bettas delicate fins though. And when you do your water changes, I suggest you change around his decorations, change their spot. Only every month or more though. I am not saying every day. :D

Good luck, and thanks for doing your research. :D

I think I already mentiond this? But You really don't/shouldn't replace the filter media totally, pad, sponge whatever is in it every month. It's actually not good for your tank b/c that is where the beneficial bacteria is mainly at, so if you completely take it out and replace it with a new one, you're basically causing your tank to cycle again.
I think someone suggested cutting the old filter media in half and then placing it in along w/ a new one? Very good suggestion. You can eventually take out the old chunk once the new filter media is well established w/ the bacteria.

Live plants are always really great. You would probably want a low light plant, just so you won't have to worry about if there is enough light and all that mess. If you don't want to bother w/ real plants, get silk aquarium plants.
Plastic ones are ok, but they tend to have sharp edges and can slice into betta fins.

... so I use a 25 watt heater that has an auto shut off feature so it runs for a bit and when the temp gets to the desired setting it shuts off.. I keep it set at 78. I For this reason I went with silk plants(not live) because the plastic ones can be scrapy, and I leave the tank lights off most all the time.

I double checked lastnight, it's the top fin 25 watt submersible for tanks up to 5 gal. No doubt the tank on the desk would be super enjoyable! Also there are test kits with drops and test kits with powder and favorite specialty fish shop reccommends the powder type for accuracy and stability of the chemicals(they can expire). I'll get back to you on brand as memory fails me at the moment. Also as I'm not a purist about the cycling,I've had great success with a product called BioSpira for almost instant cycling without stressing out the fish, it's a benficial bacteria compounded it correct proportions .. by Marineland products.. also there are some posts on here about using filter media(rocks) from an established tank to get you going if you have access

I double checked lastnight, it's the TOP FIN 25 watt submersible for tanks up to 5 gal. No doubt the tank on the desk would be super enjoyable! Also there are test kits with drops and test kits with powder my favorite specialty fish shop reccommends the powder type for accuracy and stability of the chemicals(they can expire). I'll get back to you on brand as memory fails me at the moment. Also as I'm not a purist about the cycling,I've had great success with a product called BioSpira for almost instant cycling without stressing out the fish, it's a benficial bacteria compounded it correct proportions .. by Marineland products.. also there are some posts on here about using filter media(rocks) from an established tank to get you going if you have access
I've added the link for ammonia/nitrite test kit
<a href="http://www.instantocean.com/sites/instanto...294&cid=944" target="_blank">http://www.instantocean.com/sites/instanto...294&cid=944</a>
Instant Ocean® Ammonia/Nitrite Test Kit
Individual test kits complete with durable sample testers, one-piece color chip comparators, protective foil packets/reagent bottles, and easy, step-by-step test guide. Contains 20 Ammonia and Nitrite tests. I couldn't be happier with this product because it's really easy to read results and the product is highly stable.

I haven't seen anything in here yet about the mechanics of the water change... I have a six year old at home so a speedy system is crucial(I think an efficient system should be in place at the office as well) This is what I do, I use a tank vac rather then scooping out cups full of water, first I prepare my new water in a 1 gallon jug, spending several minutes adding water conditioner and testing everything. Then simply place the hose directly into another 1 gallon jug and siphon out the desired amount of water from the tank, this only takes a couple of minutes, then add you prepared water, and don't forget the aquarium salt, you should dissolve it in some tank water rather then pouring the cyrstals directly in. I think that about does it, I always give the fish a bit of food after a water change to make sure he's in a good mood, not eating would be a sign of disturbance or illness.

Most reactions

Back