Beauty Light

Aqua Tom

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I noticed in the LFS that they have special pinkish type lights over the tanks.

Are these whats known as Beauty Lights? Are they bad for the fish?

They make the fish colours look awsome.

hey AquaTom, the pinkish lights you'll see in the LSF will have a low Kelvin (k) rating. Kelvin is a measurment of the light spectrum, the lower the K rating, the pinker the bulb. Different bulbs show different colours on fish and plants. K rating are purly ascetic and how you want the tank to look. I personally prefer the high K rated bulbs, i have 2x 9000k rated bulbs over my tank as to me it looks most natural. I think natural daylight sits aroung 5000-6000k, The bulb you saw was probably aroung the 3000k mark.

sorry went a bit off on a tangent there!

so, to answer your question, no they are not beauty lights and they are fine for the fish and plants alike.

I prefer to mix my color spectrum's. I usually use a 6500K bulb and a 9000K bulb to enhance colors and to promote plant growth. Usually I put the 9000K bulb in front with the 6500K bulb in back.

Going on a internet search the 'beauty' light is just a brand name used by interpet.

Going on a internet search the 'beauty' light is just a brand name used by interpet.

Cheers for that.
I actually have the beauty light from interpet. I have 3 tubes running at the minute, the pink beauty light at the back a 6500K daylight in the middle and a blue light at the front (which also stays on on it`s own for an extra hour when the others go off which looks great).
With the three colours the fish look great and all my plants are very healthy also. When I had just daylight tubes the tank just seemed a bit bleached out to me but it`s just personal preference I suppose.

The bulb you saw was probably aroung the 3000k mark.

um, I have an 8,000 K Aqueon and its PINK

heres a simplified version of the K rating in aquarium bulbs, the K rating is on the left.

les-kelvin-scale.jpg

as said earlier the lower the K rating on a bulb, the pinker it'll look in you aquarium.

so how do you explain an 8,000 K Aqueon being pink.......

i dont think im color blind :hyper:

So, when I have finished cycling my tank (a long way off i know) I want to have some fancy guppys & a flame honey gourami in there. What light will show them off best?

Most reactions

Back