Barb Stocking Levels

Andy1927

Reaction score
I decided a month or so ago to keep only Barbs in my 95l tank so initially acquired 6 Albino Barbs and then this week added 6 Black Ruby Barbs, my question is then that I read that 6 is okay as far as numbers are concerned but 10 to 12 creates a happier group, so is that 10 to 12 of each? or will the two groups happily shoal together as I think my 95l would definitely struggle to hold 20+ Barbs and I would far rather understock than overstock.... Oh, and just to add, the tank is quite heavily planted so there is plenty of cover for them....

It's 10+ of each. They are very similar in body shape, so they may school together.

Thanks both.... They're not exactly schooling together, but the two groups of six do come together occasionally and is quite funny to see how they manage to form one big group whilst still managing to have two distinct groups of their own(hope that makes sense), and as there seems to be no signs of hostility at the moment I think I'll hang back on expanding the groups for now, especially as the Black Ruby Barbs are displaying very vivid colours which I have read they won't do if they're stressed....

Glad to help! Or as I think they say in the U.K......no worries!
Ha-ha! No worries, we say that here in California, don't know where it came from.
They say "Cheers" in the UK.
So, cheers mate! :good:

Well 'tidy' has a very broad meaning but basically covers 'thanks', 'good', 'nice' and so on, as in Q. What do you think of this aquarium set up..... A. It's tidy (as in good) , or Speaker A. Here's that magazine you wanted..... Speaker B. Tidy (thanks).

'Butt' is much easier to cover as it's simply a replacement of a name, so you'd say 'How are you Butt?' if you wanted to ask a friend how they were, so replacing their name with, you guessed it 'Butt'.

How did all that sound? make sense? I hope so as I'm training to be an English teacher and want to teach in France, so I imagine if I can't translate to someone who has English as their first language, then I'll have no hope with the French :D

I understand how it would be acceptable in your country. But in America, if you told someone "Tidy Butt", it translates here to "Neat Rear End"!:rofl:

Lol. Interesting posts ...... Regards saying 'tidy butt', if you say that to someone in the UK (especially a lady!!) youd either get a response of ..... A slap, a kiss, a punch or get arrested!!!!! .
Oh, regards the barbs..... I find that my albinos initially tried to dominate my greens & striped tigers but now they all just chase one another .... Makes great viewing!!! Id happily trade my tv in just for a few extra tigers!!! Lol. Well, probly more entertaining than tv anyway!!!

i had the same with my odessa's and tigers 2 groups but all together but seperayr after 6 months its now 1 school

Most reactions

Back