baking soda?

proteque

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I read the pinned post about using baking soda to get the right ph in the water for my malawis. Has anyone else tested this? Somehow I need more confirmation that it is okay before doing it. it sounds a bit "too good to be true" that I can add baking soda and it will make the ph go where it is supose too.

I have used chalc? (not sure if it is written this way, white stones) for this untill now and works great. however if baking soda could make it stable exactly where it should be that would be great.

How much would be enough in a 250l (about 66 us gallon)?

Hey Proteque, I think it's great that you need more proof before using anything you are not sure about in you rtank :cool:

How much you need and how often you need to use it is not a set number. It all depends on your own tap water. I figure it out by using a 5 gallon container to experiment in. I fill it with tap water and run an airstone in it for a few hours to release the co2, then I add baking soda in small amounts until I reach the levels of PH and KH that I wanted. Now I know how much I need per 5 gallons of water. Since I use the Python to do water changes I put a thin piece of tape on the side of the tank, marked in 5 gallon increments so that I know how much water I'm changing.

Modernhamlet, you don't need anything else in your water, other then a conditioner of course. No need to overcomplicate matters. Since I've moved my tap water is now ph 8.0 and KH 8, which is perfect, so I'm not adding anything anymore. In the last place I lived the ph was 7.8 and the KH was 4, so I just added just the baking soda to raise the KH and stabelize the PH. It all depends on your tap water, but the less extras added to aquarium water, the better off you are, IMO.

thecichlidaddict said:
Modernhamlet, you don't need anything else in your water, other then a conditioner of course. No need to overcomplicate matters. Since I've moved my tap water is now ph 8.0 and KH 8, which is perfect, so I'm not adding anything anymore. In the last place I lived the ph was 7.8 and the KH was 4, so I just added just the baking soda to raise the KH and stabelize the PH. It all depends on your tap water, but the less extras added to aquarium water, the better off you are, IMO.
Agreed. The only "chemicals" I've ever put in my tank are conditioner and ammonia (for cycling).

However, my tapwater is pH 7.0, KH 1-2, and dGH 7-8. It is very unstable. It was regularly dropping below 6.0 during my fishless cycle. If I ever wanted to keep Rift Lake cichlids, I would have to add a buffer.

Though as has been said, that can be done via substrate and decorations as well.

Modernhamlet

If you do use that recipe I'd recommend avoiding the Epsom Salt. This will primarily affect your GH, which is high enough already.

thecichlidaddict said:
Modernhamlet

If you do use that recipe I'd recommend avoiding the Epsom Salt. This will primarily affect your GH, which is high enough already.
Thanks!

I'm glad I took a lot of science classes back in college, because this stuff can be confusing for the new fishkeeper. All the more reason to K.I.S.S.

Man... I really want a little Tanganyikan community now! Just a couple of rock dwellers and a few shell dwellers. Must...resist...urge...! :crazy:

Most reactions

Back