Bacteria Or Fungus?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My main tank, stocking in sig set up last Nov. About a month ago, an endler had a swollen eye and hengelis a white spot. Stats amm 0 nitrites 0 nitrates the second colour on api, 10-20?
Both out into q tank, treated with myxazin (malachite green), both dead in 2 days.
Last week another hengelis had a spot. Treated him with myxazin for the 5 day course. Showing some white to fin edges so switched to king British fungus (2-phenoxyethanol) After 3 days on that, all signs gone, left him a couple more days to make sure then returned him to tank 2 days ago. Today he has grey patches on his mouth and another looks to be starting with the same.
Am I doing right? Anything else I could try?
They're a real bugger to catch. Are they best q on their own, no argument for moving a whole shoal when they're shoaling fish?
It's difficult to decide whether it's bacteria or fungus, both medicines say they treat fin rot for instance, but both say don't use with any other medicine.
I water change 1/3 every 10-14 days, use seachem prime. Tank is well planted. I feed mainly hikari fancy guppy granules with various defrosted stuff about once a week. Frogs have mainly bloodworm.
Everything I read says fungal infections are a sign of another underlying problem, but I don't know what that is in order to deal with it. I know upping the numbers of hengelis would be better for them, but adding stock obviously not advisable at the moment :S
Thanks for any tips :)

Also are you treating your main tank or just the fish you remove in the hospital tank?

I always treat the full tank as more than one fish can have an illness but one may not show any signs for a couple of days

And if you have any carbon in your filter this can remove any medicine you add, so be sure to remove any carbon from your filter before adding any medicines.

Good luck, it's not nice when you lose a fish hope they get on the mend soon :)

Woopeedoo! :/
So is that a treat the whole tank thing then? I'm terrified of loosing my filter bacteria, much more so than my fish, oddly!

Treating your tank shouldn't kill any 'good' bacteria as long as you don't overdose

I've just had to treat mine for fin rot, I removed the poorly fish and treat him in my hospital tank but unfortunately he didn't make it but I also treat my main tank too, although no other fish showed any sign it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

Just make sure you treat as directed and the correct amount for your tank and all should be OK, fingers crossed

Because of the fear of the medication killing the filter bacteria, I only treat the q tank. No point taking the fish out otherwise?
I don't have carbon in the filter.
If it is columnaris, I'm in the UK so no antibiotics readily available.

If your in UK I use esha2000, it covers a range if bacterial infections and is tank friendly.

It's what I've just used in mine I'd highly recommend it :)
I took my little guy out just so he wouldn't be picked on while he was ill.

I only remove a fish if I really need to as it can cause more stress than necessary. Treating the full tank at the first sign will help the fish without removing them and causing more stress and will also treat any other fish with the illness who are not yet showing signs.

Most meds these days are very good for full tank treatment, like I said previously just don't overdose the tank as that can do more harm than good

Right, I'll ring and see if I can track some down tomorrow. In the meantime, I have octozin which is rumoured to unofficially contain antibiotics, or myxazin?

I usually get mine from eBay but some pet stores sell it, LFS more so than the bigger chain stores.

There is also eshaexit which treats whitespot, I only use the esha medications in my tank as I know 1, they work and 2, they're tank friendly

As for octozin I can't comment as I've never used it before so can't help on that one.

Thank you for your help :)
Anyone else recommend which to use from what I have?
In fact, the shrimp rule out copper, so it looks like being the octozin, if that's safe. Off to try and find out....

Oh yeah I didn't think about that, as esha2000 does contain copper, but saying that I have snails in my tank and they've been fine with it.

Not sure about shrimps though...

Hmmm I've found something to indicate the octozin is ok, so I'll risk it I think. Just adding a few pics

Attachments

• eDSC_6869.jpg
    eDSC_6869.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 60
  • eDSC_6870.jpg
    eDSC_6870.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 55
  • eDSC_6871.jpg
    eDSC_6871.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 73
I'd advise you do 50% water change then treat the tank, then up your water changes to 30-50% weekly

Have you tested your water? If you don't have a test kit most LFS will test it for you

Quick update. I left him in and all seems well. He was a it withdrawn for a few days, but aside from the vestiges of the spot on his side, I can't tell which one he is.
I have the api tests, results as in top post :)

Most reactions

Back