Bacteria Bloom

Xtech

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What exactly is a bacterial bloom? I've had them in the past and I'm just wondering what is the cause and what is exactly happening during this process. My levels read good at the time NH3 0ppm, NO2 0ppm, and NO3 30ppm. My water was slightly cloudy.

I've had bacterial blooms when I've rearranged by plants. If you disturb the substrate too much, or change too much at one time, it can cause it. I don't think you should be too worried about it if your water levels are fine. Mine water tested ok when I had a bloom. Water changes will eventually clear it up. Mine lasted about 3 weeks.

This makes sense. I put some new plants in yesterday and did a gravel vac today. Hopefully it will settle in the next 24 hours.

I'm not to worried about it, I'm just trying to understand what happens in the process. My tank is planted as well and I keep up with the normal weekly WC's. I know rearranging plants can stir up some crap in the water, but even when nothing is disturbed it still happens in a tank that's not mature (under 6 months old). What is actually in the cloud of water, bacteria? If so, is it good or bad bacteria?

Generally it's when excess food becomes available to the bacteria. There can be many reasons, disturbing the substrate kicking up stuff, over feeding and letting food remain in the tank etc etc. The bacteria that are present in the water take advantage of the excess available food and they multiply rapidly. At some point there are enough of them in any given volume of water to cause a haze effect. If there is yet more food the water will become even more opaque.

Generally once the food source dries up the bacterial bloom will go away on its own. The main reason it happens is because the speed the bacteria reproduce at is phenomenal, luckily they're not generally all that long lived.

Most reactions

Back