Backpacking in the Big Sandy drainage

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
We got back last night from a three day pack trip into the Wind River Range. Covered around 18 miles in three days, over some very rough country. That's the price of admission for some world-class scenery (think Yosemite without the crowds and highways) and wildlife watching: Pikas (the absolute cutest animal in the world; if you disagree with me that's OK, but you're wrong), long-tailed weasels, golden-mantled ground squirrels, bald eagles, rock chucks, brook trout, and pronghorn, none of which I got a single decent picture of. And some interesting, friendly fellow travelers.

This was our first backpack trip in several years, so it was really good to get way up again. It was a comeback of sorts for Mrs. Badger, who has been working through some health problems the past several years. We used to do this all the time when we were younger, and we've hoping to get back in here next month.

Anyway, here are quite a few scenery pictures. Ignore the time-stamps--we forgot to set the date on our camera.

The view from our camp site. Could be worse, I guess. 😁
DSCF0026.JPG

Another view from our tent.
DSCF0030.JPG

Same view at dawn.
DSCF0032.JPG

Yep, that's me. Note the whistle riding in my pack. The pointy, double peak in the background is called East Temple.

DSCF0036.JPG

Stand by for more...

Last edited:
Me and a Badgerling.
DSCF0040.JPG

The Tip of Warbonnet Peak, part of the Cirque of the Towers
DSCF0041.JPG

That's Temple Peak in the distance. We're hoping to get up that way next trip
DSCF0043.JPG

Some fairly high-quality fish-watching. This is the closest thing I got to a good picture of a brook trout. Can you see it? We didn't catch any, though. There have been some "active" bears in this area, and it seemed not a great idea to go into the tent at night smelling like fish. (I might take the chance next trip, though, as we're planning on going into some lakes that hold the unicorn-like Golden Trout)
DSCF0049.JPG

Can you see the pika? There are no words for how cute these things are. Profound adorability. The fact that they only live in high-altitude rock fields and the vast majority of people live their whole lives not knowing they exist? That's just a bonus. :)
DSCF0052.JPG

I always expect a western movie to break out suddenly in terrain like that. It's such a different looking environment - very beautiful.

This pinacle has a name, but I can't remember it. What do you think?
DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

Places like this have a way of reminding one of one's small place in the grand scheme of things. Schindler's Peak and Temple in the distance.
DSCF0064.JPG

Room with a view.
DSCF0066.JPG

Contemplating War Bonnet Peak. If you use your imagination just a little, it really does look a bit like a native war bonnet.
DSCF0051.JPG

Last edited:
That's interesting... you look like I pictured you... I imagine a lot of us, don't look like we type...

More? Well, OK.

Pingora peak in the distance. We turned back at this point because bodies were getting rather worn out, a piece of rain gear had proved worthless the previous day, and clouds were beginning to mass on the horizon. So we didn't actually get into the Cirque of the Towers; this is just the very beginning of it. It gets exponentially more spectacular from here. You can probably imagine.
DSCF0054.JPG

Heading home. In the back country, I like to keep exertion level around 60-70% of what we're capable of, so there's a reserve when the unexpected happens. This was sort of a shake-down cruise. We were planning on staying out for five days, but we weren't sure how it was going to go, and decided to be smart and head out after three. Next time we'll be physically in better shape, and our gear will be better in order. Live to fight another day.
DSCF0069.JPG

Stopping to soak our feet and pick wild strawberries. There was a stonefly hatch going on and the brookies were going CRAZY. Quality fish-watching. Really might have to bring in our fly rods next time, and to heck with the bears.
DSCF0071.JPG

Almost back to the trailhead: Sore feet, tired legs, healthy minds, full hearts. 💕
DSCF0073.JPG

I always expect a western movie to break out suddenly in terrain like that. It's such a different looking environment - very beautiful.
We found ourselves humming Howard Shore's "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack on numerous occasions.
That's interesting... you look like I pictured you... I imagine a lot of us, don't look like we type...
I'm no super model, but I don't seem to frighten children away either.

I think the pinnacle is "Rosaline barb dorsal mountain".

I can see the Lord of the Rings reference, for sure. But I still expect to see cowboys.

This an astonishingly beautiful planet we're on here.

I can see the Lord of the Rings reference, for sure. But I still expect to see cowboys.

There was a cowboy camped at the lake just below us with three horses. We'd see them grazing every morning, but they were too far away to get a good picture. Very picturesque indeed.

I had heard of pika but didn’t realize they were native to North America! So cute!

I think I was getting them mixed up with hyraxes (another “not-rabbit”, native the Middle East)

By the way, if you like Westerns, there's a Louis L'Amour book that takes place in this area. I believe it's called "Under the Sweetwater Rim." He actually gets the geography, plant species, and so on mostly right, so it's really fun to read if you're familiar with the area.

Most reactions

Back