Backgrounds

AngelMax

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:crazy:

Ok...can someone tell me how to get my backgrounds attached to my tank properly. I have tried time after time, all different methods. But I still get air bubbles etc etc.

It's driving me mad. It ruins the overall look of my tank...

Pleeeeease help!

I was actually going to post something about how I did it, but just havent got round to it yet.

I too have always found it tricky to attach the backgrounds to the glass and this is how I did one of my recent smaller tanks:

If using double sided tape, it just tends to make a mess and is difficult to
remove quickly and easily.

If using cellotape to secure the side panels, it tends to make the plastic
backing "wobble" and I can never get it taught enough. Also, the cellotape
looks horrible and if it gets wet, it tends to start peeling too.

Soooo..... I've decided to try something new and it look great ! Not only
that, but I can also remove it very easily to clean the glass and use the
magnetic glass cleaner etc.

Take some firm cardboard (exactly the right size that you need to use to
cover the glass, but no need to be thick cardboard) and cover it completely
with that clear sticky back plastic film (sorry, don't know what it called
properly, but it comes on a roll). This will prevent accidental water
splashes to cause the cardboard to swell up.

Then cut the backing paper so that all edges extend by a couple of inches
beyond the cardboard. Then wrap and stick as you would a gift.

You can then either just slide the backing in behind the tank if it's close to a wall. Any cables hanging off behind the tank will hold the backing close. Or if that doesn't quite work, just take a small piece of tack and put that in each corner.

background.jpg

Without backing
Withoutbacking.jpg

With backing
withbacking.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with the original post, but that's one sharp looking tank bloozoo :) :kewlpics: :cool: Thanks for posting your solution about backing.

Good post about using backing.

I've also seen people paint the bank of the tank.

Other people have used garbage bags (bin bags to the brits).

Thanks Sinistral :D I haven't actually posted pics of that tank before and the plants are far more lush at the mo. Those pics were actually taken about 3 weeks ago. Will update some pics in the "members picture sections" when I have a mo.

i can never get the background looking good so i bought one of the jewel structured backgrounds as this gets stuck to the inside of the tank so no bubbles of anything like that

Yeah I thought about those structures backgrounds - the only thing stopping me was the near impossibility (or great difficulty) to remove it :/
And the fact that I'd have to take everything out of the tank and wait for it to dry before putting the fish back in. Not practical in my situation at all.

thats a great idea blozoo i love it!!!!

and indeed u do have a great looking tnak!!! really simply but strikingly effcetive

Well, since we've worked out how to stick it, what background looks best to make the tank look deeper (IE, further back). I've finally got rid of the old one that came with the tank, and I don't know whether to reverse it so the black side is the background or get another one.

My preference is for black ! But it does depend to some degree of what fish you have - as to what will look best. But of course all opinions differ & are quite personal when it come to layout and look :)

Another tip some people say is to use vaseline (petroleum jelly) smeared on the back of the tank (outside..) and then attach the backing to this. Just press down with your hand or a straight edge to get rid of the air bubbles.

Holds it to the glass, but isn't permeantly adhesive! Winner! :thumbs:

EDIT: Spelling - lol whats galss!

i have just tryed bloozoos trick with bin bags to see waht effect a balck back ground has it looks ace!

:cool: personally I think it makes a huge difference and accentuates the colours so much more. Glad to be of help :fun:

I just tape mine with clear tape to the ends...never had any problem. I buy the really sturdy backgrounds, instead of the flimsy ones, and they dont bubble at all. Penn plax makes nice ones.

:clap: Thanks everone for your ideas...will try a few out.
The bin bag one is a great idea...cheap too!!!!

Bloozoo....I l :wub: ve the tank....it's just how I'd like mine....simple but very effective.
:kewlpics:

Most reactions

Back