Background Or Not (See Text And Pic Below)?

Should it have a backdrop?

• Total voters

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been trying to get my tank to look as great as it can, but have avoided using a background as I wanted a more "organic" feel with plants growing up the back instead:
IMAG0580-001.jpg

I'm not convinced that it is working though, and wondering if a backdrop would be better? I like colourful fish, and am wondering if a dark background would give them something to contrast against. Stock is currently swordtails, opaline gourami, honey gourami, 1 male dwarf gourami, glass cats, cardinals, glowlights, harlequins, kuhli loaches, peppered corys and angels (before friends start writing about stocking levels, which I have done another thread on, the tank is over filtered, heavily planted, and has regular big water changes - so please don't divert this thread into a stocking discussion, thanks!!!)

Please do let me know your thoughts!

Also, is it easy to remove a backdrop or is it a decision with no return? I was thinking of the plain ones which stick against the rear of the tank.

Painting the back black I think looks the best, black really reflects the colours of plants and fish, plus it will look great with your black substrate. You can get the backing's that stick on but they can be a bit of pain if you ask me, maybe your only option though with the tank been set-up?

I've found that cutting a black bin bag to size (making sure its double layered, so that the light doesn't show through)works well, and is cheap. Try it out.

If you have a black substrate then I personally would suggest a black background. The plants stand out even more so when you combine the two. I have both in my sig pic.

i got an offcut of thin mdf and taped my background onto it , works a treat , if you have a maidenhead aquatics near you they are reasonably priced for backgrounds ...

Thanks for the ideas, thought I'd try the bin liners idea before committing to much money or anything permanent, here's several sellotaped to the top back of the tank and hanging down, I did not unfold them to keep the thickness. I quite like it, shame the fish did not sit still for the pic
w00t.gif
:
IMAG0585.jpg

PS excuse the rubbish quality photo, I only had 25k left after keeping the top pic reasonably quality!

what gravel is that?

No idea, I picked it up in Manchester! Could find website of shop if you wanted, it's kind of halfway between course sand and gravel. I really like it, except some of my old substrate managed to survive the swap (there was so much sand kicked up I couldn't see what I was doing!) so I am forever taking out the white bits!!!

I really like yr tanks layout, it looks great!
I think the black background would look best.
What size tank is that? Xx

is it bad that I plan on going to buy a $1 roll of black wrapping paper to use as a background for mine? I have no problem taping backgrounds on the tank.

Most reactions

Back