Back To Tropical Shores

lincsflier

Reaction score
Hi all after moving over to the salty side 8 years ago going back to trops going to be installing a 8ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with remote sump filter and heaters etc. in the adjoining workshop.

My main question is this how much and what sort of light would be suggested for this size of tank?. Want to have some plants but not so many that you can't see the fish:D.

Second question comin up now:). For a filter I am looking at using a Kockney Koi fibreglass filter with a return pump what flow would you say would be optimum?. Planning on returning it into the tank at several points rather than just one same height with back flow valves on all entry and exit points to prevent flooding.

Anyone see any problems with any of this and be gentle just egtting used to the idea of not having to have 20 T5 tubes above this for a marine tank lol.

Cheers
Dave

Hi there Lincsflier. I would think that somewhere around 300 watts of light would be enough unless you want to get into high tech plant growing with fertilizer dosing and pressurized CO2. The relatively low light should be enough to allow good plant growth on low or moderate light plants. The tank size at about 240 gallons falls outside the range where the WPG guidance is useful in estimating light needs. Light using T5HO bulbs would be fine and would make good use of the fixtures that you already have. I like the look of "daylight" bulbs in the 6500K to 6700K range but there is some evidence that the specific spectrum of light has small effect if it is in the visible spectrum. Obviously the 50/50 lights of a reefer are not the right ones for a freshwater planting.

I have no idea about your filter as I have never heard of the one you suggest.

Most reactions

Back