Baby Red Tail Catfish

dots valeting

Reaction score
hi im new to here me and my hushband brought a baby red tail catfish at the weekend he is about 3.5 inch long.
Is it normally for them to be scared of you cause ours hides from u all the time i was just wondering if that is normally he is still eating and comes out when it is dark.

Thanks for reading

hi im new to here me and my hushband brought a baby red tail catfish at the weekend he is about 3.5 inch long.
Is it normally for them to be scared of you cause ours hides from u all the time i was just wondering if that is normally he is still eating and comes out when it is dark.

Thanks for reading

Most if not all catfish are nocturnal, hiding is quite normal for young fish and catfish will be no different, however do you know how big these fish get, what size tank is it been housed in? and what other fish have you got in there with him/her?

Thanks for reading

Most if not all catfish are nocturnal, hiding is quite normal for young fish and catfish will be no different, however do you know how big these fish get, what size tank is it been housed in? and what other fish have you got in there with him/her?

He is housed in a 3.5ft bow front at the moemnt but we are getting a 8ft one soon as he gets bigger. He is on his own cause we dont know what other fish to put with him at the moment.

Thanks for reading

He is housed in a 3.5ft bow front at the moemnt but we are getting a 8ft one soon as he gets bigger. He is on his own cause we dont know what other fish to put with him at the moment.

Good choice been on it own lol, even 8 foot isnt going to be big enough for him, he is a potential 5 foot fish and will require a very large pond.... also they grow as far as im aware very quickly.

what size is the 8foot tank?full L/W/D?
Just these fish grow huge very quick indeed, Don't house him with anything as they will and usually eat most tank mate's unless vastly bigger than themselve's.....
These guy's as most catfish are noctournal and as they grow bigger it's not so much they lose the hiding but as there so big providing somewhere for them in a tank would have to take up a lot of space, so people don't bother

what size is the 8foot tank?full L/W/D?
Just these fish grow huge very quick indeed, Don't house him with anything as they will and usually eat most tank mate's unless vastly bigger than themselve's.....
These guy's as most catfish are noctournal and as they grow bigger it's not so much they lose the hiding but as there so big providing somewhere for them in a tank would have to take up a lot of space, so people don't bother

Hi the tank is going to be 8x5x4 but i am also thinking along the lines of an indoor pond that i can put in our conservatory. We did loads of research before we brought the rtc but we are amazed by the lack of info the shops give out. The shop where we brought him from told us that he would only grow 80cm and also that he would only grow to the size of the tank, luckily we did our research before we brought him but what happens if somebody would have brought him at 3" long and not know how big he was going to get.

Thats shops for you, shame really, my lfs has a stunning redtail which is 3ft in a four foot tank, everytime i go in<they know i have a 5ft.....They try to palm it on me saying a 5ft will be perfect, it's up at 150pounds but to me 40pounds....i sometimes think of buying it to donate to bmth oceanarium but it will free up space just to get another and do the same again, yes a tropical pond would be your best bet, they are beautiful fish,once i get a pond up and running i sahll invest in a rtc and a tsn :drool:

Most reactions

Back