Baby Rabbits

J4MES

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all,

possibly going to be breeding rabbits this summer, my rabbit is a female lionhead born in 2005 so if you are in the area and have a male rabbit let me know and we could work some thing out.

Obviously when the littlens are born they will need GOOD homes. I will not sell you one unles i am certain they are going to good homes.

I will reply here when they are born and if you are interested I can reserve you one!

Thanks,

J4MES

Umm... I highly recommend that you DON'T breed your female. Rabbits need to be bred before they are a year old, otherwise seriously labor complications can occur. I know some people do it and they don't have any problems, but I know five times as many people have done and in most cases the female dies trying to give birth. I was stupid enough to try it once, and I regret it fully. It was my best show rabbit, and my favorite doe at that... she was in labor for six days and I was on the brink of putting her down. Since then she has done better, but it's taken me almost a year to get a live baby from her. If I could do it over again, I would have never put her through the pain of that first pregnacy, and would have just kept her as a pet.

:sad: just look at the tons of rabbits out there for rescues all over the country. Almost all of them have young rabbits available for adoption as well as older ones. Some of them end up waiting for a new home for months or years - due to no fault of their own. Why would you want to add to that?

Hi though i pop in, I've breed many 100's of rabits when i was younger, as i used to show Black, blue and gold rex's
And ye it's best not to breed them, like said befor then number's already out there and coz of her age.

My breeding stock was breed at about 8-12 monts of age (mature at 5-6 months in females and 3-4 months in males)
If you do breed them, she will give birth in 4weeks to the day almost.

She will use her neck hair to build a nest and you must not disturbe that at any point, clean her out at day 25-26 leaving the nest well alone.

If you do have babies then to nut touch them as she will almost defo eat them!!!!!!!!
and at about 10 days old the should be comeing out a little. and if she lets you then you can then handel then, wast your hands first and then rub you hands in the nesting hair, to cover your smell ad they should be ok.

But please dont just breeding if you ave no home for any. they need plenty of care and i my self had over 100 adualts when i was 13!!!!!!! never again belive me, try clening that out every weekend.

Hi though i pop in, I've breed many 100's of rabits when i was younger, as i used to show Black, blue and gold rex's
And ye it's best not to breed them, like said befor then number's already out there and coz of her age.

My breeding stock was breed at about 8-12 monts of age (mature at 5-6 months in females and 3-4 months in males)
If you do breed them, she will give birth in 4weeks to the day almost.

She will use her neck hair to build a nest and you must not disturbe that at any point, clean her out at day 25-26 leaving the nest well alone.

If you do have babies then to nut touch them as she will almost defo eat them!!!!!!!!
and at about 10 days old the should be comeing out a little. and if she lets you then you can then handel then, wast your hands first and then rub you hands in the nesting hair, to cover your smell ad they should be ok.

But please dont just breeding if you ave no home for any. they need plenty of care and i my self had over 100 adualts when i was 13!!!!!!! never again belive me, try clening that out every weekend.

Actually, the whole "don't touch the babies or mom will eat them" is more myth than anything else. 99% of the time if a mother rabbit is eating the young it's because A) there is not enough protein in her diet, or B) there is something wrong with that baby. Now, if a rabbit is not used to it's owner messing with it, it may get scared while it has babies and stomp them to death... then she is likely to eat the dead babies.

I have been raising and showing rabbits for three years, and been involved with reasearch/talking to other breeders for six years now. I myself touch every baby born here the day it is born... usually within the hour depending on how long it takes me to find them. I have only had two cases of babies being in eaten... both were around the same time, and come to find out the feed store sold me an old batch of feed. I also had one case of a baby being eaten that was stillborn (suffocated in the birth canal). You want to check them as soon as they are born anyway to make sure there are not any dead ones in there with the live ones. It would be very unsanitary to not check them for the first week or two and come to find a rotting baby in there. =x

I had few rabbits eat the babies and i too could handel babies from birth but i was not going to encourage this.

I feed them a high protine diet food so it's not just the diet, it's also to so with the females and if their use the breeding and careing for the babies.

I breed them for over 7 years and entered quite a few shows but was never good enough to get anywhere, and fish are much better ;)

But we all have our own experance and it's good to share our experance, i have not kepet rabbits for 10 years now but I'll explain things how i remeber them!

A bad idea then?

J4MES
When I got Missy Bunns I took her to the vet because she wasn't going pee or poop. I found out she was allergic to alfhala and had to be switched to timothy based rabbit food. I asked what he thought about breeding her and he said she was really to old. At that time she was about year old. If in doubt find a ver that knows rabbits. They are rare!! I would say if you really care about your bunny not to breed her at her age after research I found out that there is way to may problems that can arise.

Most reactions

Back