Axolotl Feeding

Fish are AWE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I have axolotls and i was wondering what i should feed them. I currently feed them bloodworms and pellets. I know this isnt a very complex diet thats why i want to ask you guys. What do you feed your axolotl?

Earthworms are usually good, that's what I used to feed mine when I had them prior to all sorts of pellets that are designed for them where available. I know of people feeding their ones mealworms but these are fatty and should only be feed occassionally as amphibians in general don't break down fats well. I guess you could try them on crickets as well.

The best diet for your Axololt is an earthworm every other day.

What type of set up do you have?

my setup is quite good. Its around 12-15 gallons and has really (Stones that cant fit in her mouth) big stones. Has a awesome hiding place (that i got for 35 bucks :() and some java moss growing,

im going to get sand soon

hover with a gravel siphon. do not dig it into the sand, but hover about 1/2 an inch above the sand and the waste will get sucked up and the sand will stay down.

hover with a gravel siphon. do not dig it into the sand, but hover about 1/2 an inch above the sand and the waste will get sucked up and the sand will stay down.
I feed my axo on JMC catfish pellets, freezedried bloodworm and fresh earthworms from my compost bin. He grew to 11in in his first year,

I would stick to a high quality pellet. The standard is trout or salmon pellets but I fed New Life Spectrum with great results. My axolotls were the largest and most robust I have seen in person, and matched that of those online. No need for frozen or other foods.

Most reactions

Back