Automatic Feeders

sheree

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently booked a fortnights holiday which is the first "longer" holiday since i've started fish keeping. I've managed for a week with no problems using the fish blocks etc but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on any models/shops on automatic feeders and if their actually worth the expense???

Hi,

I have recently booked a fortnights holiday which is the first "longer" holiday since i've started fish keeping. I've managed for a week with no problems using the fish blocks etc but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on any models/shops on automatic feeders and if their actually worth the expense???

I'm sorry, I'm a dumb American, how many days with you be gone? "fortnights" in my head is four nights..haha Some people actually say fish will be alright with no food for at most 2 weeks. Those drop in feeders cause more mess than good.

I have always used the Eheim auto feeder with no problems. In fact, I am off tomorrow for 5 days and I have just set it to feed my fish twice a day while I am away!

Hi,

Hi-

Yes, I found an automatic feeder very useful. We were away in warm Florida in February for almost a fortnight (2 weeks, right?) which got extended last year delightfully due to a blizzard back in New York--Yay! I had researched the auto feeders and got a battery operated one which was supposed to be good for 2 or 3 weeks--It has a round cup kind of thing mounted vertically that rotates every 12 hours and depending on how big you open the little window up, feeds the fish. It has an adjustable screw on clamp to attach it to the side. Can't remember the brand---I'll see if I can come up with and e-mail you. YES, it's worth it! Iheard that these fish blocks weren't especially good for the fish--I forget why--maybe the fish don't eat them....

Good luck.
-Wendy :fish: :fish: :fish: 8)

Hi-

Yes, I found an automatic feeder very useful. We were away in warm Florida in February for almost a fortnight (2 weeks, right?) which got extended last year delightfully due to a blizzard back in New York--Yay! I had researched the auto feeders and got a battery operated one which was supposed to be good for 2 or 3 weeks--It has a round cup kind of thing mounted vertically that rotates every 12 hours and depending on how big you open the little window up, feeds the fish. It has an adjustable screw on clamp to attach it to the side. Can't remember the brand---I'll see if I can come up with and e-mail you. YES, it's worth it! Iheard that these fish blocks weren't especially good for the fish--I forget why--maybe the fish don't eat them....

Good luck.
-Wendy :fish: :fish: :fish: 8)
You're right, fish don't like the blocks, and it pollutes the water.

An automatic feeder should be fine, if I were you I'd make sure to stay on the low side of food per portion, as overfeeding should be your worst fear here.

The fish blocks aren't good as they are made of plaster of paris, they make alot of mess for not much food.

Personally, I just wouldn't feed my fish most fish can go 2 weeks, 3 weeks and they start to go down hill.

Automatic timers on lights and an automatic feeder is the best way if you have a good feeder. Though I have before used my neighbours to feed my fish.

Generally the larger the fish, the longer they can go without food.

Clean the tank before you leave aswel.

Yes a fortnight is 2 weeks.

Most reactions

Back