Attack Of The Slime!

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
help!! For the last couple of months, my betta's 5 gallon tank keeps getting a thick waxy coating on the top. I clean it weekly, w/gravel vacs. It's heated, no filter. He's alone in the tank. It's so gross, I net it out and it comes right back again! I have plastic wrap over 3/4 of the top of his tank to keep the warmth in, but it started months after that. I've been treating him regularly w/medication. As soon as I stop the meds, within a few weeks, it's back! He has red spots on his face and looks scales and raggy fins again. This is soooo frustrating! He's on meds more than he's off them!

Unfortunately, this is a very common side effect in tanks with no filtration. This is why I always keep at least a low-flow bubbler in every betta tank. If nothing else, at least to break the surface water and stop the formation of the layer of yuck. Most will tell you it's totally harmless, and just to keep up regular tank maintenance. I've also read that it could be harmful. One day when I have time I'll google it and find out the answer myself. :p

I get this too, I have a tank that is split with a divider. The filter is on the lowest setting it can be, since the bettas were NOT happy with the current. The side that has the filter never gets the slime, other side gets slimy about 3 days after a weekly water change.

It doesn’t seem to cause any trouble, and I know the water is circulating from the filter, its just not quite fast enough to break up all the slime.

I think the slime actually helps bubble nests stay in place too, but that’s just a guess. I have no facts supporting it other than observation. ;)

Unfortunately, this is a very common side effect in tanks with no filtration. This is why I always keep at least a low-flow bubbler in every betta tank. If nothing else, at least to break the surface water and stop the formation of the layer of yuck. Most will tell you it's totally harmless, and just to keep up regular tank maintenance. I've also read that it could be harmful. One day when I have time I'll google it and find out the answer myself. :p

Is a low flow bubbler an underground filter? Never heard of that one.

Most reactions

Back