Assassin snail to kill infestation? Or?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deeznuts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I’m contemplating whether to get an assassin snail for a small tank that’s currently 22 Celsius to kill an infestation of snails and then moving it out into a tropical tank.

Or, is there a better choice to get rid of these?

Regards

22C is tropical.

what sort of snails are in the tank?
you can use copper or flubendazole? to wipe out snails. I think Flubendazole kills them and is safer for the fish, it also deworms the fish.

22C is tropical.

what sort of snails are in the tank?
you can use copper or flubendazole? to wipe out snails. I think Flubendazole kills them and is safer for the fish, it also deworms the fish.

No, it’s a cold water tank. The temperature just happens to be slightly warmer today. Rare for the uk!! Has a few white cloud minnows.

Snails are bladder snails and not sure about the other. Sorta look like ram horn snails

Snail infestations in my experience come from the availability of an excessive amount of food. Try cutting back on the food, hand removing as many as possible and using a snail trap. They will eventually go away if you eliminate their food source. I've never been a proponent of using animals to clean up what we can do ourselves through careful management.

Snail infestations in my experience come from the availability of an excessive amount of food. Try cutting back on the food, hand removing as many as possible and using a snail trap. They will eventually go away if you eliminate their food source. I've never been a proponent of using animals to clean up what we can do ourselves through careful management.

Well, I owe that to my brother. I took my mum away for her birthday and left him in charge of the pets. He’d used 1months of fish food in less than four days!!!!

I had to do a major clean up but as it’s planted, I couldn’t clean it all up unfortunately. I’ve offered some up for free on gumtree for anyone that might want some lol

Next time you leave your brother in charge, buy one of those pill boxes with a compartment for every day of the week. Put a day's food in to the compartments for the days you'll be away, then take the food tub away with you so he can't add extra.

Or just take the food tub with you and let the fish fast for a few days.

Snails are bladder snails and not sure about the other. Sorta look like ram horn snails
They should be easy enough to remove by hand or net. Just scoop out the adults each day and you will get rid of them in a few months time.

A single assassin snail will probably take them out too over a similar time frame.

Next time you leave your brother in charge, buy one of those pill boxes with a compartment for every day of the week. Put a day's food in to the compartments for the days you'll be away, then take the food tub away with you so he can't add extra.

Or just take the food tub with you and let the fish fast for a few days.
I figured a pinch twice a day would be self explanatory lol but the pill box concept isn’t a bad idea tbf.

I did consider a holiday block thing but I heard a lot of negative things about them.

They should be easy enough to remove by hand or net. Just scoop out the adults each day and you will get rid of them in a few months time.

A single assassin snail will probably take them out too over a similar time frame.
Mmm, I have started moving some of the big ones and threw them in my marginal pond. Birds often bathe in it, so I figured if any are out of the water, they’d be a nice snack for them.

The issue with the small ones are, my fingers are too fat to get them lol. They just drop to the deck

I pick them when they are on the glass I use a net that I make sure will be running flat...

I start slowly from the bottom making my way up jerking a bit up and down, scaring them and they fall in the net...

Then I have "clean" glasses for a week. not much more.

I have put nothing else but only "light" in this tank for 2 months now, and they are still there. There's also a remnant colony of cherry shrimps that is solidly trying to re-establish itself after weeks without any witnessing. And now with berried ladies swimming around.

The water is not good. The pump is about to jam and my patience with this setup has vanished. And will tear it off...

This is where snail can drive me to. The only bonus I'll get from it...

A lot of "possibly recoverable" java fern babies... Full of snails.

I pick them when they are on the glass I use a net that I make sure will be running flat...

I start slowly from the bottom making my way up jerking a bit up and down, scaring them and they fall in the net...

Then I have "clean" glasses for a week. not much more.

I have put nothing else but only "light" in this tank for 2 months now, and they are still there. There's also a remnant colony of cherry shrimps that is solidly trying to re-establish itself after weeks without any witnessing. And now with berried ladies swimming around.

The water is not good. The pump is about to jam and my patience with this setup has vanished. And will tear it off...

This is where snail can drive me to. The only bonus I'll get from it...

A lot of "possibly recoverable" java fern babies... Full of snails.

Aha. Sounds like you’ve thrown in the towel lol.

After all that effort and they’re still there, I think it’s fine to send in an assassin or loach lol.

I would have used a loach but mines only a small tank.

My tropical tank has a few in but I’m pretty certain the platys or barbs make quick work of the snail babies. Literally only ever had about 3 in that tank.

Well, I owe that to my brother. I took my mum away for her birthday and left him in charge of the pets. He’d used 1months of fish food in less than four days!!!!

I had to do a major clean up but as it’s planted, I couldn’t clean it all up unfortunately. I’ve offered some up for free on gumtree for anyone that might want some lol
That is why I use an automatic fish feeder and do not rely on anyone to feed my fish. I lost fish before due to overfeeding by unexperienced friends. https://www.amazon.com/Petbank-Automatic-Fish-Feeder-Aquarium/dp/B0BB238TCC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I have 3 assassin snails that did a great job removing the pest snails from my planted tank. They haven't spawned like some other members noted, but that may be due to my intentionally not overfeeding the fish. I still have to go in and remove the dead snail shells, but that is okay.

Most reactions

Back