Asian Glass Cats compared to African Glass Cats...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I guess I dove into a Glass Cat's hidey hole... when I started looking at Kryptopterus vitreolus ( Asian I think ) as a possible addition to my Hillstream tank, when I have a tank ready to move the Tin Foils, & Gourami... then I thought I remembered these were African... but apparently they are... Parailia pellucida ( African I think ) they look really similar... looks like the Afican fish gets a little4 larger, I've not compared environments or water conditions yet, but the sure look the same

African
1725471878203.png

Asian
1725471853519.png

Last edited:
I think I have the picture's upside down??? nope, I don't think so... but they are so close

That's interesting convergent evolution. If it works in one place, then it's going to work somewhere else.

It's like if you look at a Tateurndina peacock gudgeon from Papua New Guinea beside a Fundulopanchax gardneri (steel blue) killie from Nigeria. Worlds apart, but a cool basic look.

Asian glass cats have very specific needs that don't make them a good community fish. I've never actually seen the African glass cat.

Most reactions

Back