Are zebra danios a good choice for a newbie?

Tori1984

Reaction score
Hi. I currently have two male bettas and I was thinking of getting another aquarium. I've heard that zebra danios are a good fish for beginners. Has anyone had any experience with zebra danios? What would you suggest (i.e. frequency of water changes, best foods, best aquarium size, etc.) for their care? Are there any other species of fish that you would suggest for a newbie? Thanks in advance for your advice guys. :)

Zebra danios are gorgeous fish and very tough, so they are good beginner fish. However, they do have certain requirements that might make them a little less suitable for small tanks: They are fast swimmers and they like a good current with very clean water (ideally). They also grow to 2" long if well cared-for and as schooling fish should really be kept in groups of at least 6-8 individuals.

I have a 10 gallon tank with 12 Zebra, and Leopard Danio's in it. Every morning, in a breeding tank, they mate, when not seperated by sex. The males are slender, and the females get fat. Look for the long-finned Danio's for they are a more prettier fish. I seem to have better luck with the Leopard Danio's as they are more hardier. Each morning, when in breeding tanks, they produce some 50 to 100 eggs. If you eventually try breeding them, make sure you give them and hour or so, and remove them, for they love the smell and taste of their own caviar.
Ben
[email protected]

oh gosh these lil things are the fishes of fishes (pretty) (strong) (fun to watch) ~(cheap) say no more my friend i have 5 of these lil fellers 2 female fat tings and 3 males skinny things lol

there so peace full un aggresive to each other i found not 1 of the has been aggresive in any way to another they prefer more the better 6-8 at least i should get more

1 thing to the person with 12 mine keep breeding but i only just got them no breeder trap

but... they had laid eggs 1 of them about 4 days ago and think its the others turn
but how often do they produce eggs as i didnt save any and i want them to breed at least 30 would be cooool in my 50 gallon till i pass them on to lfs to sell

but i have such easy touch ill prob buy another tank i spent 50 quid this week on food plants and wood for them lil gits

I actually have a male betta (well unfortunately he died this morning was not aggressive :-( )anyway male bettas do fine with danios. Sometimes when danios feel cheeky they might bug the betta because they are fast swimmers and bettas are 'royal' so to speak. However danios are nice fish and are extremely hardy in fact I was reading an article and aparently the russians were using neons in nuclear testing due to there hardness in the 1950's ;) Good Choice

Forgot to add... they'll do fine in a 10g tank :D

aparently the russians were using neons in nuclear testing due to there hardness in the 1950's

I'm suprised that the Russians use neons for testing - they are not really that hardy at all - in fact they need very specific water conditions to thrive. Everyone seems to think that they make ideal first fish, but they don't coz they really need a mature tank. Zebra danios on the other hand, will live in practically any type of water. Although I am against cycling with fish, if you must use fish, then zebras are about the hardiest that you will find.

Most reactions

Back