Are you ready to take the Leap?

TwoTankAmin

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Nearly every four years, the Gregorian calendar — which is used in the majority of countries around the world — gets an extra day: February 29.

For some people, leap day means frog jokes and extravagant birthday parties. For many, it may conjure memories of the 2010 rom-com Leap Year, which harkens back to the Irish tradition by which women can propose to men on that one day. And others likely see it merely as a funny quirk in the calendar, or just another Thursday.

Leap day means several different things to Alexander Boxer, a data scientist and the author of A Scheme of Heaven: The History of Astrology and the Search for Our Destiny in Data.

Literally speaking, he says, it's an "awkward calendar hack" aimed at making up for the fact that a year isn't a flat number of days, but more like 365 and a quarter. But there's more to it than that.
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/26/1232986212/leap-day-explained

Every four years, I get out my lululemon tights, a tutu made from a lampshade and a shirt that hasn't fit well for a while. Like everyone else, I get to leaping, over rocks, across streets, in front of the fish. It's tiring, but liberating. Over the past few leap years, I seem to be landing more loudly, and somewhat gracelessly, but I still celebrate. What do you do for leap year?

Every four years, I get out my lululemon tights, a tutu made from a lampshade and a shirt that hasn't fit well for a while. Like everyone else, I get to leaping, over rocks, across streets, in front of the fish. It's tiring, but liberating. Over the past few leap years, I seem to be landing more loudly, and somewhat gracelessly, but I still celebrate. What do you do for leap year?
I do that too but only when I get too schnockered .

and a shirt that hasn't fit well for a while

kitty-forman-debra-jo-rupp.gif

Most reactions

Back