Are You Loosing Sockets To Large Timers?

drsquirrel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Pain isn't it!

I found a novel way around this...
imag0072large.jpg

It's a cheapie UK to X travel adaptor, anyone else tried this? :p

Excellent find, I had to go to homebase and get a 4 way for a new tank setup as my 3-way wallplug adapter couldn't take all 3 plugs incl the timer due to space...

But then I bought a 4 way gang socket with 1m cable for £1.79 at homebase...I guess it just depends on whether you need more than 3 plugins into a 4-way such as you have (that air pump did it!) :)

It isn't so much a problem here, as I only want 1 timer and I don't really need the airpump (not decided though).

I've been thinking about it a lot for the marine setup as I will be using 2-3(-4!) timers, although I am pretty much set on a large switched strip for "normal" plugs, and a 6 way just to sit 3 timers, specially as you say... they only cost a few quid :p

You'd think they'd try to make the "compact timers" more compact, but this just means the top isn't so tall - someone make some narrow timers, thanks!

Ok just to reinforce my dumbness :lol:
I imagine your timer is a uk 3 pin plug so is the travel adapter also 3 pin ????

It isn't so much a problem here, as I only want 1 timer and I don't really need the airpump (not decided though).

I've been thinking about it a lot for the marine setup as I will be using 2-3(-4!) timers, although I am pretty much set on a large switched strip for "normal" plugs, and a 6 way just to sit 3 timers, specially as you say... they only cost a few quid :p

You'd think they'd try to make the "compact timers" more compact, but this just means the top isn't so tall - someone make some narrow timers, thanks!

I use these from B & Q ... digital, easy to set up and take up no more room than a normal size plug :good:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/390756/electrical-compact-digital-7-day-ti

I imagine your timer is a uk 3 pin plug so is the travel adapter also 3 pin ????

The back is a special "socket" which can take pretty much any socket, straight, slant, 2, 3, centre earth, uk, us, eu, asian, aus, etc etc. Thus - it also fits a UK 3pin in the back as well.

Exactly the same as this one. I don't really like these sockets and will usually cut off plugs and put my own on, but I keep them handy (often come along with products etc) just for temporary uses.

I use these from B & Q ... digital, easy to set up and take up no more room than a normal size plug :good:

£3! I hate the clicky clicky mechanical ones so was definitely looking for electrical which cost more, I got mine for around £4.20 (when buying 4 to factor in postage). And that is the cheapest I have seen, even cheaper than some mechanical ones.

If I knew that was there I would probably buy 10, they do look rather slim too... I assume you can get 2 side by side.

The back is a special "socket" which can take pretty much any socket, straight, slant, 2, 3, centre earth, uk, us, eu, asian, aus, etc etc. Thus - it also fits a UK 3pin in the back as well.

Exactly the same as this one. I don't really like these sockets and will usually cut off plugs and put my own on, but I keep them handy (often come along with products etc) just for temporary uses.

£3! I hate the clicky clicky mechanical ones so was definitely looking for electrical which cost more, I got mine for around £4.20 (when buying 4 to factor in postage). And that is the cheapest I have seen, even cheaper than some mechanical ones.

If I knew that was there I would probably buy 10, they do look rather slim too... I assume you can get 2 side by side.

You sure can, they are the same width as a standard plug :good:

As you say, I do lose at least one extra receptacle each time I plug in a low voltage power supply, the kind that have miniature transformers in them. I have started using long. multiple outlet, power strips to get around that effect. Another way that works is to get a power strip with widely spaced receptacles on it. For some reason, having a slightly wider spacing between receptacles means the selling price is at least double the amount for one that is slightly closer between receptacles.

For some reason, having a slightly wider spacing between receptacles means the selling price is at least double the amount for one that is slightly closer between receptacles.

I know! this irks me to heck.

I did look at just getting a group of 3 or 4 wall sockets + wall mount box thingy, but a 3 way was like £25 and another £5 for the box... :/

I was given my tank, thankfully the bloke that pieced it all together had his thinking head on.
Theres a 4 way screwed into the side of the cabinet underneath and a smallish box with one of these in it
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=retrieveTfg&binCount=1&Ne=4294957561&Ntt=mk+timer&Ntk=I18NAll&Nr=AND%28avl%3Auk%2CsearchDiscon_uk%3AN%29&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=4294957476&Nty=1
that controls the lights. Expensive but it works a treat. i dont need extra timers then, as the pump and heater are just plugged in 24/7.

Might be an alternative...

IMG_1562.jpg

:)

Nice, I think you can have 8 separate outputs with that timer! Still it is £79 versus £3 for us simpletons ;)

Nice, I think you can have 8 separate outputs with that timer! Still it is £79 versus £3 for us simpletons ;)

£3 was luck, £10 is more like it.

And yes, very nice timer. I do like the idea of being able to just unplug something though. I'd rather hack the components of my current sockets into it's own housing before spending £80.

I paid a little over £15 for my setup. It involved 3x 2 gang sockets, 3x double gang patress boxes and a few pounds of 1.5mm core flex. Hooked them up in a parallel fashion and it works a treat. Will get a photo and post later once the kids are not up and going to be poking their noses in :)

Most reactions

Back