Are these planaria

bavettevizzolini

Reaction score
Are these planaria? This is a planted 16 gallon tank. I’ve never had luck with snails in it. But I have soft water. I know I have a lot of silt. Extreme can hardly keep up and starting vacuuming once a week. These tiny worm live in the substrate I just noticed them. But I try not to magnify to much cause it’s scary. But I have magnified I had an issue with china mark moth in my tanks but these are new to me. Hoping it’s not planarian. I wish I could’ve posted the video

Attachments

• IMG_6181.png
    IMG_6181.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6181.png
    IMG_6181.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 19
Can't tell, need clear images.

Planaria are flat and have an arrow shaped head with 2 beady eyes.

If the worms are about 6-10mm long and thing and live in the substrate, they are probably detritus worms, which are harmless and only come out when the substrate is dirty or the water quality is bad.

If the worms are longer than 1 inch and live in the substrate, they are an aquatic worm, again harmless.

Hello. Don't panic. These are common and there are several kinds. They're not harmful to fish, but they can affect snails and shrimp. You're right to keep the water clean and to vacuum the bottom material regularly. The worms feed on decaying plants and leftover food. You can add some fish that really like to feed on these worms. Live bearing fish like Guppies and Mollies will help reduce the population.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back