Are These Fish Really Pregnant?

tiger695

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I took these pictures into the Pet Store and the guy said that all of them are pregnant. I just want to know if anyone can confirm this, so that I can be ready. Everyone already told me the Guppy is pregnant and should have fry anyday now, but I wanted to know if the Mickey Platty and the Golden Platty are also pregnant. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, :unsure:

View attachment 46607 fish_022.JPG fish_023.JPG

Hi Everyone,

I took these pictures into the Pet Store and the guy said that all of them are pregnant. I just want to know if anyone can confirm this, so that I can be ready. Everyone already told me the Guppy is pregnant and should have fry anyday now, but I wanted to know if the Mickey Platty and the Golden Platty are also pregnant. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, :unsure:

View attachment 46607 View attachment 46608 View attachment 46609

fish_016.JPG fish_017.JPG

It's hard to tell as the pictures are slightly blurry, but they do look rather large. The general rule is that if they've been with males and are sexually mature, they are most likely pregnant.

they're much bigger than any of my fish and I have fry so I would say yes!

My Mickey is having babies. So, far I have caught 2. So, I guess she was really pregnant. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know. :hyper:

the 'golden platy' looks like a swordtail to me, much longer in the body

id say platy. swords are long and narrow as platys are short and round and swords have pointer tails compared to plays which are half moon shaped.

the 'golden platy' looks like a swordtail to me, much longer in the body

id say platy. swords are long and narrow as platys are short and round and swords have pointer tails compared to plays which are half moon shaped.

you can't tell the shape of the tail as its clear but i am 99% sure it is a swordtail. just look at the difference in body length, swords are not always long and narrow, especially if pregnant :good:

i would say definatly a platy as i have two similar, one being a tuxedo platy with a long body also platies can have two different body shapes one longer and one shorter and stouter, they dont always look the same!!

xx

the Mickey mouse is a standard platy, you can't get long bodied platy's unless they are crossed with a swordtail which gives them a slightly longer body, but also looking at the whole body shape of the second one its nothing like the one of a platy.

here is a tuxedo platy.
SunsetTuxedoPlaty.jpg

here is a red eyed tangerine swordtail (couldn't find a female tux on google)
swordtail2.jpg

now look at the body shapes, the swordtail clearly has a longer body, look at the space between the top fin and the tail

the Mickey mouse is a standard platy, you can't get long bodied platy's unless they are crossed with a swordtail which gives them a slightly longer body, but also looking at the whole body shape of the second one its nothing like the one of a platy.

here is a tuxedo platy.
SunsetTuxedoPlaty.jpg

here is a red eyed tangerine swordtail (couldn't find a female tux on google)
swordtail2.jpg

now look at the body shapes, the swordtail clearly has a longer body, look at the space between the top fin and the tail

those pics are really clear- i've been told before how they look different but never seen it- thanx for posting!

Most reactions

Back