Are these fish compatible?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have started my community tank which is in a 3ft 30 gallon (130L) tank. As of now I have 3 Venezuelan cory's and a pair of Kribs. I am planning on adding some dwarf chain loaches, 10 tetra and an angel fish.

I am wondering what tetra would be compatible with this setup.

I was thinking of Bloodfin tetras, Rummy Nose tetras or Congo Tetra

I am making this post to see which one of these tetra would be most compatible with the tank and an angel fish?

Congo tetras need a tank that is at least 4 foot long.

Don't mix loaches with Corydoras. Have a group of 6-10 of one species but not both. Too many bottom dwellers will cause problems, especially considering you want a pair of Kribensis, which will take over half the tank when they breed.

Tetras would be ok but get a baby angelfish so it grows up with them and doesn't think the narrow fish are food.

Don't mix loaches with Corydoras. Have a group of 6-10 of one species but not both. Too many bottom dwellers will cause problems, especially considering you want a pair of Kribensis, which will take over half the tank when they breed.

Tetras would be ok but get a baby angelfish so it grows up with them and doesn't think the narrow fish are food.
would diamond tetra do ok

What are some stocking ideas for the tank as I already have the 2 kribs and the 3 Venezuelan cory's

The kribs and an angel won't work. I would add Corys (the same species), and get any small (not Congo sized) slender bodied mid water to surface tetra I liked. Tall bodied tetras often like the lower areas of the tank, which creates conflict with kribs.

Loaches would outcompete Corys and infuriate kribs.

Are the Kribs definitely a male and a female?

Everyone has given great advice so far. And if you want to keep the Kribs it limits your choices a lot. Nothing near the bottom (except Venezuelan Corys, get another half a dozen), and no other cichlids.
You could swap the Kribs out for an Angel if the tank is tall enough. I’d say at least 15” of actual water.

Yeah thats what I thought but the shop said only 3 do I have to get the same species or can I get different ones

It is always better to have more of each species if you mix them, but mixing is OK. This sized tank should have at minimum 12-15. Try to get five of a species, say three at 5 each. Believe me, the cories will be much happier. Or all Venezuelan if that is your preference. Or two groups of six or seven each. And as noted, do not add loaches.

Are the Kribs definitely a male and a female?

Everyone has given great advice so far. And if you want to keep the Kribs it limits your choices a lot. Nothing near the bottom (except Venezuelan Corys, get another half a dozen), and no other cichlids.
You could swap the Kribs out for an Angel if the tank is tall enough. I’d say at least 15” of actual water.
The tank is tall enough but the kribs are my favorite fish and want to keep them over an angel fish and yeah they are certainly female and male. I am able to get more corys in the coming days am thinking of 6 more Venezuelan in the next couple of days

What tetras would be good for this tank. Would a group of tiger barbs be more suitable

Last edited:
also the krib female seems really shy and rarely comes out the male is fine and swims all around I did notice that he seemed to go fast and bump her but that has stopped now. Is there anything i can do

What tetras would be good for this tank. Would a group of tiger barbs be more suitable

Tiger Barbs are not advisable, due to tank space and cichlids. TB nip fins in small numbers, especially sedate cichlids. There are lots of tetras, just remember you need a group as all are shoaling fish, so that means around 10 minimum.

Most reactions

Back