Are These Bolivian Rams?

• Thread starter Deleted member 55926
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55926

I got two rams today, but I said to the guy I'd like a pair of Bolivian Rams and he led me to a different tank than the one I was looking at (and identified as Bolivian Rams from pictures I've seen).

I thought these were Bolivian Rams:

Mikrogeophagus_altispinosus_4.jpg

But he said they were just 'normal' rams, and that Bolivian Rams were these:

BolivianRamWFCiam_Ap8AF.jpg

I got a pair of the former, but am a bit confused as to whether I've gotten the correct fish or not. I find different websites saying both are Bolivian Rams.

Look exactly like mine although when I purchased mine from the biggest fish store in Sacramento CA they had them labelled Brazilian Rams. Interesting because on the web there are no Brazilian Rams. So yes, Bolivian Rams... Americans suck at geography so maybe somebody said..."You know that country in So. America.... starts with a B."...

Look exactly like mine although when I purchased mine from the biggest fish store in Sacramento CA they had them labelled Brazilian Rams. Interesting because on the web there are no Brazilian Rams. So yes, Bolivian Rams... Americans suck at geography so maybe somebody said..."You know that country in So. America.... starts with a B."...

Haha. Nice one.

Oh... wait. I don't think I have Bolivian Rams. I think they're German Blue Rams! They look identical to this:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_German_Blue_Ram_Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php

And I remember the sign on the tank saying Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. The guy told me they were 'normal rams' ...whatever that's supposed to mean. Oh dear, I hope they're not really hard to care for. I'm really worried now that I have hard, alkaline water.

you have Bolivian rams
I will upload a picture. Mine look exactly like this, with the flourescent blue dots all over the fins and body, and strong black stripes and spot. The pic on this page could in fact be my pair of rams.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_German_Blue_Ram_Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php

They don't look as dull as all the pics of Bolivians. Nothing like the image in my original post.

is the picture of the bolivian ram in the first post yours then?
No. Just from the Net somewhere.

Mine were bought as Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi, not Altispinosus.

I'm confused.

Okay, do you have a picture of your own?
I haven't gotten round to taking a good one and uploading it, but it doesn't matter - I'm not exaggerating when I say my rams are identical to the pictures I have linked to. If I took my own picture, it would be pointless because it would look the same.

Both my rams have bright red eyes. Can bolivians have red eyes like this too? My female looks identical to this but maybe with a bit more neon blue when the light catches it:

German_Blue_Ram.JPG

My male is like this but bigger and with a more elaborate tail and dorsal fin. The markings are like this though:

RamBlue1.jpg

Both species may have red eyes, if your fish look like the above, then they are Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and will need keeping at temperatures of 28-32oC and a PH of 5-6.6

Agree with truck, if yours are indeed Mikrogeophagus ramierzi then I would see what you can do about returning them to the shop. The do not generally make good community fish due the their specific needs such as the higher temp and lower PH requirements.

If kept outside these parameters you will be lucky if they live longer than a few weeks/months or even days in some cases.

Andy

"Both species have red eyes"

Well mine don't, and i've never seen Bolivians in shops that do. In fact it's one of the first things i look for in Rams when i'm looking to make a quick ID.

Most reactions

Back