Are there natural plants that grow in sand?

macapowder

Reaction score
Hello!

I set up my first aquarium about a week ago (54L will have 1 betta). It has 2 floating plants (duckweed and limnobium) and the ones that sit on the ground are plastic. I didn't have the budget to get all natural plants from the start so I'll gradually add them.

I later realized my substrate only consists of sand and gravel. I also found out there are these things called root tablets. Are there any aquarium plants that can live just fine in the sand (adding root tablets if needed)? I would love it if the plants are also beginner friendly.

Another thing to note is that my duckweed came with a few detritus worms and they are most probably resting in the sand. Will they eat the roots? From most I read they're not a reason of concern and I can keep their population at ok levels by regular cleaning and gravel vacuuming.

Also, with new plants, do I just stick them in the sand like that?

Most plants are fine in sand. Some plants feed via the leaves and don't need root tabs, although liquid ferts such as seachem flourish comprehensive will help. You don't need a lot because when you trim these you just plant the cuttings. Choose plants that have low light requirements such as hygrophila or ambulia. Plants like Amazon swords or bulb plants feed via their roots and need root tabs.
This tank is low light and has a sand substrate, as is the one in my signature.
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245

Last edited:
As above. Cryptocoryne is also another very easy plant that will grow well in low light. It appreciates a root tab but isn't necessary.

Anubias and Java fern are epiphyte plants, they grow in the water column rather than in the sand. You can tie or superglue these plants to rock or wood and they will pull nutrients from the water.

Last edited:
Hello. Java fern, Hornwort, Anacharis, Indian Fern and Anubias will grow in about any bottom material. None of these need to be planted. Planting just disturbs the substrate. Put the plant where you want it and arrange some small rocks on top of it. The roots will grow into the bottom material. Low to medium light is fine for any of these. No fertilizers are needed, the fish will take care of that.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. Java fern, Hornwort, Anacharis, Indian Fern and Anubias will grow in about any bottom material. None of these need to be planted. Planting just disturbs the substrate. Put the plant where you want it and arrange some small rocks on top of it. The roots will grow into the bottom material. Low to medium light is fine for any of these. No fertilizers are needed, the fish will take care of that.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Thanks! When you say low to medium light do you mean the amount of time pf exposure to it? My LEDs are not adjustable...

There are a lot of beginner plant like people have said above. Most plants will do fine in the sand and some even prefer to be on rocks or driftwood such as Anubias. The plants will just need some liquid fertilizer such as flourish. I also don’t have a lot of money to just spend on live aquarium plants and the ones in stores are pretty expensive. I ended up finding a website called Marcus fishtanks and they have a lot of good options and for pretty cheap. I got some mystery cryptocoryn for maybe 3 dollars and it came with two. The reason I went with this website over others is that the shipping is cheap, about 5 whereas others are 16 or even more! Just a suggestion but it’s worth taking a look. Just make sure to wash the plants off pretty well when you get them because now I have some pesky little snails.

There are a lot of beginner plant like people have said above. Most plants will do fine in the sand and some even prefer to be on rocks or driftwood such as Anubias. The plants will just need some liquid fertilizer such as flourish.
It's not just a preference for plants like java ferns or anubias. If you bury the rhizome in substrate, it will rot and die. But it's easy enough to superglue or use thread to tie down to some hardscape like rocks or wood. You can even wedge the rhizome into a crevasse in a piece of wood and that works too.

I also don’t have a lot of money to just spend on live aquarium plants and the ones in stores are pretty expensive. I ended up finding a website called Marcus fishtanks and they have a lot of good options and for pretty cheap. I got some mystery cryptocoryn for maybe 3 dollars and it came with two. The reason I went with this website over others is that the shipping is cheap, about 5 whereas others are 16 or even more! Just a suggestion but it’s worth taking a look. Just make sure to wash the plants off pretty well when you get them because now I have some pesky little snails.
I buy my plants on Etsy (occasionally from an LFS). I can't recommend that enough. You can shop around for the best price and check the reviews and ratings for the different merchants. It's very easy to communicate with the merchants too. Marcus Fish Tanks is on there as well.

It's not just a preference for plants like java ferns or anubias. If you bury the rhizome in substrate, it will rot and die. But it's easy enough to superglue or use thread to tie down to some hardscape like rocks or wood. You can even wedge the rhizome into a crevasse in a piece of wood and that works too.
Are the rhizomes the roots? I have a nana petite Anubias from Marcus fishtanks that I stuck in a crevice on some driftwood. It seems to be doing pretty good 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 19
Thanks! When you say low to medium light do you mean the amount of time pf exposure to it? My LEDs are not adjustable...
Hello again. Aquarium plants in general are tropical, so they're used to long hours of daylight. Your LED settings are fine for the easy to grow plants I listed. None need strong light. I use LEDs too and have the lights on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 off. If you keep the fish food to a minimum, you can keep your tank lights on for a maximum of 14 hours per day and you won't get into trouble with algae.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back