Are sumps as terrifying as I think they are

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've seen an absolute bargain of a tank on Marketplace and its only a few miles away from me. Only problem is it comes with a sump and it terrifies me. The tank is drilled on the back wall at the top which I could just hang filter pipes and equipment through but it would mean the water level was quite low in the tank.

I don't think it comes with any of the pumps or various valves and bits of equipment I assume you need with a sump but would it be easy to put together a not too expensive shopping list together for? Or would I be ok putting an external filter on?

Or I quite want a nice 3D background so I could just silicone some panels to it which would then be covered by the background anyway?

Wills

Sumps are just a tank or container that is connected to the main display tank with pvc pipe. You can either use the sump or put a pvc plug in the overflow fitting.

If the tank was connected to a sump, it should have the pipework that will include the drain pipes and return pipes. There should also be a return pump that lives in the sump and pumps water up to the display tank.

Sumps are just a tank or container that is connected to the main display tank with pvc pipe. You can either use the sump or put a pvc plug in the overflow fitting.

If the tank was connected to a sump, it should have the pipework that will include the drain pipes and return pipes. There should also be a return pump that lives in the sump and pumps water up to the display tank.
Thanks Colin you've made that sound really easy! I can't set it up right now but its sooo tempting!

The primary concern with a sump is that the fittings seal break and the tank leaks; but we have the same issue with canister filters. I like customaquariums fittings which are at the top of the tank but there are some nice things you can do if the tank is drilled in the bottom. One advantage of a sump (not many people do this) is you can put them in the room below the tank.... try that with a canister filter.

The primary concern with a sump is that the fittings seal break and the tank leaks; but we have the same issue with canister filters. I like customaquariums fittings which are at the top of the tank but there are some nice things you can do if the tank is drilled in the bottom. One advantage of a sump (not many people do this) is you can put them in the room below the tank.... try that with a canister filter.
???

My canister sits below my tank, on the stand...not sure what you mean here?

Yes the normal position of the canister is below the tank on the floor or bottom of the stand. However you can in fact drill holes and put them in the basement below if you wish (not the canister filter as the pump isn't strong enough) but the sump.

My canister sits below my tank, on the stand...not sure what you mean here?
I believe that the point being made was that if the 'o' ring in your canister filter fails, the canister will leak. With all the plumbing pipes and connections, a sump could also leak.

To the OP, setting up a sump is pretty straight forward, but as @Colin_T points out, the bulkhead for the overflow can be easily plugged.

Are you going to do a freshwater tank? If so I think a sump is overkill especially if you have a good canister filter. Sumps are most commonly associated with salt water tanks and basically a sump is just a "build your own filter" in which case you don't need a canister filter or HOB filter - the sump is the filter. Usually it's a container connected to your tank on the back where you put all the filter media of your choice (I have biocube which has the sump built into the back of the tank so I don't need a separate container). Most aquariums with sumps have a bunch of slits drilled into the top of the tank (like the one you are thinking of buying) that makes the water overflow into the sump area connected to the back of the tank. The sump may contain a main filter like those sock things - which are just a very fine filter almost of polishing cloth consistency, water goes through the socks and into a different section of the sump which can contain the media of your choice - there is an exit to the sump with a pump and tubing (big tubing like in your canister filter) that pushes the filtered water up to the top of the aquarium and back into it. You can replace the media just like a HOB or Canister filter as needed and it's pretty accessible and easy to do.

BUT These days even many salt water tanks use a cannister filter because they don't have the cutouts in their aquarium for the water overflow - so they just send the water down through the tubing into the canister filter - which then pumps the water back into the main tank, hopefully all nice and clean. If you're doing a freshwater tank I'd silicone over any slits/opening in your tank (and hope it holds and doesn't leak water) and use a canister filter otherwise you'll have to keep the water level below the overflow section at the top of the tank or it will just spill on the floor. If the aquarium was used as a saltwater aquarium, especially for reefs it may be rather short and long to accommodate long reef shelves. Mine happens to be square which is really limiting when you try to build a reef without touching the walls of the aquarium (so you can clean all the walls) at 32 gallons it's just a little too big to be considered a nano saltwater/reef tank. Originally It's sump came with 3 chambers. Chamber 2 where all the media was supposed to go was really overkill in size and metal shelves prevented you from putting other equipment in the sump (like a protein skimmer, heater, UV sterilizer etc, so I spent a ridiculous sum of money ($70) to buy this cheap looking tall plastic piece with 3 or 4 shelves. This divided the second section of my sump into two section making 4 sections in the sump rather than three and supposedly doing a better job of forcing the water through the media instead of having it just bounce off of it (a problem many biocube owners were supposedly experiencing. So I will have a protein skimmer in chamber 1, chamber 2 will contain all my media, chamber 3 will contain a heater and eventually (once the tank is cycled and has been going a while) a UV sterilizer, the water will then flow to chamber 4 where the return pump will pump it back into the main aquarium. So again, it's like a really fancy filter all designed by you.

if I were you and had most of the parts for the sump and tank I'd give saltwater and reefing a try - knowing you'll probably have to come up with at least $500 or more to make it a functional salt tank, With live rock or "life rock", that's $100-$400 foe 20-40 lbs, then there is the cost and hassle of having to make and store some RO/DI water which will make the water completely without any solids ie., as pure as distilled water. To that water you add the special salt water salt in the correct quantity and use a device to measure the concentration of salt or density of your tank Then you cycle it and start adding a couple of fish (clown fish like Nemo being popular at between $15 and $50 each) and buy a couple of coral fragments "frags" at a cost of $15 to around $2,000 a frag (there are plenty of beautiful cheap frags - I guess the saltwater elite buy the expensive "rare" ones. Keep in mind the fish are a LOT more expensive and each coral has to have a specific amount of light and water flow so you have to research that all out so you know where to place it on your reef. Or get an Anemone (which can and will sting you) and also likes to move on the reef on it's own - at least they'll find their perfect spot on the reef. The clown fish is the only fish allowed into the anemone's tendrils without getting stung. This is because they allow the clown fish ONLY to clean them. So LOTs more cool things happening in a salt tank than a freshwater tank. The fish are more vibrantly colored and way more expensive than just about any freshwater fish out there) the corals are amazing and as the earth's corals are being destroyed you can think of yourself and other reefers as helping to keep them from ever going extinct. (of course some of the frags are stolen directly from the ocean reefs rather than being cultivated).

You can also get really fancy and purchase a small 10-20 gallon aquarium and make it a Refugium - which grows very specific bacteria - since I've never actually seen one I don't know much about the function of a Refugium but I bet every "real" salt tank owner has one. I bought some of the stuff for one but now that I have a Biocube I'm not sure how to attach it to it, so I'll probably skip it.

So why not give saltwater/reefing a go since your getting an aquarium and sump already plumbed for it? (it will also take every bit of income you have once you become addicted to the corals and the beautiful fish)

Yes the normal position of the canister is below the tank on the floor or bottom of the stand. However you can in fact drill holes and put them in the basement below if you wish (not the canister filter as the pump isn't strong enough) but the sump.
What's a basement? :lol:

Where I live, you don't see many of them ;)

I like sumps for big tanks. Say you want to have a spectacular display of Tetras, by using a sump under your main tank you can effectively double your water volume of your tank which means you can have more fish in the display part of the tank than would be normal. Also great for say Silver Dollars in the sump you grow all the plant that the Silver Dollars would eat and it acts as a massive bio filter.

My biggest regret? I didn't drill out my 240 acrylic and use my 60 gallon as a sump. See,I was never going to go plants and many fish..but the fever came back and I started adding and trying plants with young fish that soon became large fish ( I had a large boese rainbow bite my finger the other day,feeding them and it was cichlid like strong as it wolfed down a whole corn niblet) so my homemade inside filter has a big pump- no problems there,but really the bio media would really need to be much larger- sump larger- to make water changes less often. Plus a sump makes for a quieter tank for you and the fish.
Sumps beat canisters and all else I can think of.

You don't have to drill holes in tanks for a sump. You can buy prefilter, auto syphon surface skimmers that hang on the back or side of the tank. These get connected to the sump by some hose or pvc pipe and allow you to have a sump without drilling holes in the main display tank. See Ebay link below

In a tank with heavy plant growth- those are known to overflow by getting clogged. Also that pre filter siphon box is pretty small to handle 1,200 gph pumps or more if I need to pump from the floor.
Plus- the stand I made has no room underneath for a sump. I'm stuck. The story of my life. ;)

Most reactions

Back