Are Puffers Really What Thier Puffed Up To Be?

Puffing isnt a good thing, it is a defense/threat mechanism and is stressful to the fish. Good puffer owners rarely or never see theirs puff.

But I wouldnt say its misnamed as they can puff and certainly are more "puff" shaped than other fish.

They really are quite intelligent and curious which is the reason I keep them and am sure that is the reason many others keep them, not for their "puffing"

You thinking of diving into the world of puffers?

Drew

As above, you should get one, you wont be disappointed, lots of character :)

Check out the pinned topic in the oddball forum on puffers, has a brief overview of what you should know.

of course most of them don't puff up as much as the famous porquiepine pufferfish, but they still puff. And as said before they are puffy in shape, and that is part of the attraction in keeping them.

Porcupine%20Puffer%20Fish.jpg

Yes...They Do :p

*Edit*

Thats not me, googled the image :)

There are some great freshwater Puffers, from the Dwarf Puffers up to the larger Target group and beyond. Granted most probably arent as interactive as the Brackish Figure8 species but if kept well most will learn to interact with their keeper.

There are some great freshwater Puffers, from the Dwarf Puffers up to the larger Target group and beyond. Granted most probably arent as interactive as the Brackish Figure8 species but if kept well most will learn to interact with their keeper.

I've kept a number of puffers, freshwater and brackish, and figure 8's are one of the least interactive in my experience. Targets are very interactive, but sedate otherwise. the fish which are active river fish (SAP's, figure 8's, DP's etc) I find are less interactive than the hunter/lurkers (Fangs, abei, etc).

Hmm..my old Salivator and T Turgidus were very unsociable, my little Fig8's on the other hand are great :)

Most reactions

Back